How Can I / Should I remove an unused Polaris booster pump?

Jul 25, 2016
Memphis/TN
Two months ago, I bought a distressed home with a pool that had not been maintained in over 2 years**. After liner replacement, the pool looks great. Chemicals are good and the main pump runs fine. However, there's a booster pump with a very rusty connection that looks ready to leak. (After some Googling, I believe it is a coupler on the inlet on the "volute" - picture below). I am manually vacuuming and don't care about the Polaris for now. But I see flaking sheets of rust, so I feel like I should do something before the booster pump starts to leak.

Should I try replacing the coupler and hose, and just let the water continue to flow through the unused booster pump? Or would it be better to try closing or capping off the PVC ends so I can physically remove the booster pump? I am leaning towards replacing the coupler, since I don't want to get into electrical issues removing the pump, wires, and breaker.

Thanks in advance for any advice on what to do or where to find parts!

RustyPart.jpg

** 9 wheelbarrows of leaves and a birdbath found in it - the repair company put it in a makeover contest on Tara Liners.

BeforeAndAfter.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.