After many years of using chlorine tablets / pool shock without doing any research (blushing with embarrassment at this point and VERY remorseful) we are endeavoring to be more responsible from this day forth.
Actually, July 4th forth! That was the day we installed a SWG. Since then we expected pool maintenance to become simpler, instead we are coming to realize the consequences of long term blissful ignorance and uninformed/unintentional neglect.
I have been searching around the posts trying to find answers without having to do a new post: there is so much information in the discussions that I am getting lost and overwhelmed, but grateful to have found TFP and looking forward to learning from the wealth of information here.
I have so many questions it is hard to pin down where to begin, so I will go to the "getting started" forum and dive right in.