Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about using Bromine

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about using Bromine

So I purchased a home about 2 months ago, and the spa was completely empty (apparently they shut it completely down during the summertime.)

I did not know about this site yet, so I simply filled it up, then took my water into the local pool store...................

They gave some stuff to put in, don't remember exactly what, and it seemed to balance out fairly well, according to the follow-up reading. Since then I have been adding a bromine tablet about every 2-3 days to the little basket, and was checking the bromine level every few days with this cheap kit that I had purchased. (I have a better kit on the way currently)

Anyway, took a sample to the local pool store yesterday and got the following readings:

Bromine- 2
    Ca Hardness 90
    Tot Alk 30
    pH 7.2
    tds 425

My question is about the "bromine reserve". I'm not sure I ever completed this step. Also, I have never shocked it, or put anything else in it.

The water seems to be clear and odorless.

My question is, what should I be doing from this point forward?

I've already ordered an adjustable floating tablet dispenser, since that seems to be the recommended way to go. I also realize I need to increase the CA Hardness and total alk. My main concern right now is with the sanitizer though. Thanks for any help!
    Pool: 17,925 Gallons, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter Model S244T, Aqua Rite SWG

Spa: Maui Brand, 450 Gallons

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Question about using Bromine

I don't know much about bromine. But, here is some good info.

How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach