Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to the site

1. Back To Top    #1

New to the site

I recently purchased a home that came equipped with a pool AND a spa, so I'm having to learn both pretty quick!

I actually stumbled upon this site when my Aqua-rite system started acting funny. Instead of calling in the experts right away figured I'd do a little Googling first, and thanks to this site I figured out that it was just a little $9 component that needed to be replaced.

A little about me....34 years old, formerly married, one 9 year old son, and an awesome girlfriend. We're both pharmacists, so 'hopefully' all of this chemistry stuff shouldn't be TOO hard to figure out!

I look forward to learning from the wise ones on here, and hopefully spreading some knowledge somewhere later down the road.

Pool: 17,925 Gallons, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter Model S244T, Aqua Rite SWG

Spa: Maui Brand, 450 Gallons

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: New to the site

Welcome to TFP!

Congrats on the new stuff!

This is how I maintain my hot tub. It has been great for 3-4 years.
    How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

Start here in Pool School
    ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Getting Started

I use a TF-100 test kit from Here is why it is awesome, Pool School - Test Kits Compared
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Hello and welcome to TFP! Pharmacists huh? Just don't try to give your pool any Benadryl. Great to have you with us.

Oh, and when it comes to testing, you can't beat the TF-100 (with Speed Stir).
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Labelle, TX

Welcome. It's a piece of cake learning your pools personality. With the proper test kit you will learn and only have to add what yoir pool needs. Plus with yoir job you have an understanding of active ingredients. The pool store will sell you a 4lb tub of TA up for $16. You can get baking soda for 49 cents a pound. If you do get algae it's not a one time product the pool store sells. It's a process. Just like feeling better on the second day of a Z pack. Learn and ask questions. We all started in the same boat.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

5. Back To Top    #5
    Northern IL

27K IG rectangular; vinyl liner; sand filter; 1hp pump; auto-cover; heater; K-2006.