New Pool Trouble

Jul 21, 2016
New Smyrna fl
Just started excavating for our pool and found buried debris. It is small palmetto root debris that may cause more complications excavating because of how deep (14 ft) and near our home foundation (5ft). I assume they already ordered pavers etc. One of the options was for us to sign over liability from their lifetime shell warranty dig 10 ft and fill with 3ft pea gravel, which is out of the question. We suggested to have our land cleared push pool further away from house and excavate all debris then back fill with new dirt. If they still don't agree to those terms without signing a waiver we do not want to build. If pool builder is not able to build pool without waiver do they return my deposit? Any other insight on this whole situation would be appreciated as well.

Ask if you do an engineered base, if they'll honor their shell warranty then. Something like this . . .
3 foot overdig, geotextile fabric, 2 feet of 3" rock or crushed concrete (coarse aggregate), capped with 6" of "road base" (3/4" minus) compacted to 95% density, then six inches of pea gravel to set your plumbing lines for the drains in.

Ask if you do an engineered base, if they'll honor their shell warranty then. Something like this . . .
3 foot overdig, geotextile fabric, 2 feet of 3" rock or crushed concrete (coarse aggregate), capped with 6" of "road base" (3/4" minus) compacted to 95% density, then six inches of pea gravel to set your plumbing lines for the drains in.

So overdig the pool 3 ft and use the materials you suggested. If some debris remains this should be able to support?

Yes. A structural engineer would need to be consulted and he may suggest tightening up the rebar spacing a little, but the builder shouldn't have any realistic cause for concern if an S.E. stamps the plan. I've built two story concrete structures on spread footings on this type of system and have had zero settlement issues.

For a couple hundred dollars have licensed engineer review and approve your plan. There may be local conditions that you haven't revealed (or don't know about) that may alter the way the base is constructed. What I have suggested is a plan I have used often, in my area, with engineer's approval and with great success. Your situation may be different.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.