Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool - Long Island, New York

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool - Long Island, New York

Hello everyone.

I was very happy to find this site, there are somany excellent posts full of great information. I have enjoyed reading andlooking at everyone’s great pool projects too.

I’m soon to be first time pool owner. After along time saving we have decided to pull the trigger this year. After researching, interviewing, and reviewing bids from 3excellent builders we have decided on one. I’ve visited pools underconstruction and some that are a few years old. From what I saw they all lookedwell built. I’ve spoken with customersand everyone reports excellent experience with the builder. Pool will be installed this fall. Pavers, landscaping and waterfall will be installed next spring.

We researchedfiberglass, steel, and concrete pools. We decided to go with concrete with a vinylliner. We have a small backyard and have to deal with 5ft setbacks so the poolwill have to be on the small side approx.30x15x19.

I would like to hear your thoughts on our plans. We still have time for changes. I especially would like to know your opinions ongoing with a wedge bottom. We were in a much smaller 10x20 3.5ft to 5ft wedge pool earlier this year while on vacation. Family enjoyed it and didn’t miss having a 8ft deep end. To have a deep end we would have to have a very small shallow endwith a fast drop off. We are not looking to install a slide or jumping rockso we are leaning on going with the wedge. Just not sure if we should stay with 5.5ft or consider a different depth.

Thanks in advance.Dan
    As of now we are going with the following setup:
    Free formed 30x15x19 concrete 10 inch walled pool (4000psiwith rebar) vinyl liner with padding (28mil sides and bottom) 3.5 to 5.5 ft wedge hardbottom. The pool will have a flat area after the last step 3.5ft and then decline to5.5 feet. Dual bottom floor returns, 2step returns, 3 bench seat returns, 2 side wall returns, and 2 skimmers.Plumbing is 2in PVC. Jandy valves. Jandy subpanel.
    Loop loc 28mil sand pebble with no border
    Concrete texture vinyl lined in pool steps with 2 returns
    Bench seat with 3 returns
    Water falls (small to match size of the pool)
    3 Jandy nichless LED’s 30 watt
    Jandy vs flopro 1.65 HP 8 speed pump
    Jandy CV 460 Cartridge filter
    Aqua Comfort ACT 125 BTU heat pump
    Auto pilot RC 35 SWG
    Polaris 9450 cleaner
    Merlin Smart Mesh cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool - Long Island, New York

Hello and welcome to TFP! Sounds like you've thought this through a bit. Looks pretty good actually. Maybe some others will have a thought or two, but I think you're off to a good start. Should be very nice. Great to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

We are debating the same as far as depth of the "deep" end. I say 5 or 5.5 is enough, my husband wants 6 feet for the kids to jump. We'll have a bit more length in our pool being we bumped up to 42 feet in length, but in all the pools we've been in, anything deeper than an adult can stand in gets little use over time.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys. Yes Ponygirl, I think your right 5-5.5 is enough for my size pool. 42 ft length is great length and gives you guys many options. I'm a little concerned about kids jumping in but same can be said about jumping in the swallow end. Crazy how such a great purchase can be so stressful! I'm confident in our PB and his option. Just wanted to see how other owners feel about wedge bottoms. Thanks again.

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi guys

Started our pool build on 9/18. Walls have been poured and we are now waiting on plumbing to start. So far so good. Wanted to share a few pics. IMG_0657.JPGIMG_1002.JPGIMG_0980.JPGhttps://vimeo.com/184761073https://vimeo.com/184761277

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Back To Top    #6

Plumbing and back fill were completed. PB took measurements for the liner. We are still deciding on the size of the waterfall for the back corner. Love to see your photos for ideas. We would like to keep everything in proportion. So we don't want to go too high. Due to the grade difference we will be installing large rocks on both sides of the waterfall tapering down to level ground.

IMG_1055.JPG
    IMG_1037.JPG
    IMG_1056.JPGIMG_1059.JPGIMG_1049.JPG

7. Back To Top    #7

Almost ready for liner and fill!IMG_1082.JPG

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I like seeing nice, neat equipment pads. I've never seen those metal strips and poles used to mount equipment like that....and I *like* how it looks. It should hold up very nicely to the weather.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm going to add some home automation later so I wanted the space to add the equipment. I didn't want everything on 4x4 wood poles. I picked up 2" ridge steel pipes, u bolts, spring nuts, and super strut mounting channels. About $125 in parts. Had everything ready for the electricians and they had no issues with using the parts I supplied. Electrical inspector was very impressed too. I also upgraded to a 80 amp sub panel so I can run all my outdoor lighting and outlets back to the pool panel.

10. Back To Top    #10

Looks good! Who did your build?

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you. John Joseph pools.

12. Back To Top    #12

Update. Liner is in and filling. IMG_1118.JPG

13. Back To Top    #13

Hi.

Hate to do it but I'm going to start the pool up on Friday and close it next Monday. I'm going to use the TFP pool school suggested closing for chemistry. PB is doing the first equipment closing and freeze protection. Any other advise for first closing?

Jandy leds

14. Back To Top    #14

Neat color with the lights on. Are those white LEDs or the multi colored? I couldn't justify the cost for the LEDs just yet. Maybe next season

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks. Yea, they are multi color leds. They installed 3 30w lights. Makes the pool glow.

16. Back To Top    #16

take pics of some of the other colors, please. We have similar liner colors, so I'm curious to see if I should upgrade.

17. Back To Top    #17

Sure, other than red all the colors look great. They were expensive but after seeing them I'm happy with the decision.

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Nice! I've never heard anyone say they were underwhelmed with the look of colored LED's.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. Saltwater w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, salt cell, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Groundbreaking: 2/14/13 | Plaster: 5/21/2013 | First Swim: 5/30/2013

19. Back To Top    #19

Yea, they are very cool. Here are a few more pics.

20. Back To Top    #20

Very nice. Thanks for taking the time to post those!