Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intelliflo pump shot?

1. Back To Top    #1

Intelliflo pump shot?

I have an Intelliflo pump that is JUST over three years old (So out of warranty.) Noticed it wasn't running this evening. Go outside and the LCD is normal, but the Start/Stop LED isn't lit. Figured I must have left it off or something after cleaning the pool yesterday. Turn it on and it tries to start. RPMs come up, watts really don't. Then it goes to prime and RPMs go way up, watts barely come up. Almost no noise (Thing should be screaming right now.)

Tried a few things, couldn't get it working. Flipped the breaker. Emptied out the water and can move the impeller freely. Filled it back up, breaker on, tried it again. Nothing.

Took a video - sorry for the orientation. Anyone ever encounter this or had one apart? Really don't want to have to replace this and hoping I can get whatever parts are needed.

Pentair Intelliflow - YouTube
    Leisure Pools Riv 30, 8500 gal, IG fiberglass, 200 sqft cart filter (Clean & Clear 200), Intelliflo 3HP variable speed pump, Aqua Rite SWG, auto cover, installed 5/2013
    Aquacal Superquiet 110, installed 6/2014
    TFT 100

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Intelliflo pump shot?

I have had a few pumps do this and its just a bad board.. unfortunately buying a board you mid as well buy a new pump... i think the boards are about 600.00
    David Randolph
    Warranty Station
    Pentair
    Jandy
    Owner Sac Pool Pros

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have surge protection on the pump power?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I have whole house surge protection on the main panel. Guess it's needed on the pool subpanel too? SWG is still powering, no way to tell if it's actually working now. . .
    Leisure Pools Riv 30, 8500 gal, IG fiberglass, 200 sqft cart filter (Clean & Clear 200), Intelliflo 3HP variable speed pump, Aqua Rite SWG, auto cover, installed 5/2013
    TFT 100

5. Back To Top    #5

It depends on how it was wired but usually you want local protection at the pool panel itself.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Do you guys recommend the same whole-house surges that would be used on the main panel at the pool sub panel?
    TFT 100

7. Back To Top    #7

Definitely! Too many times we see VS failures due to lack of surge protection.
    Mark

8. Back To Top    #8

Could you recommend a good surge protection for intelliflo?

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Definitely! Too many times we see VS failures due to lack of surge protection.
    2003 Build 20K gallon salt water gunite IG pool, Taylor 2006 test kit, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, Aquabot ABTTJET Turbo T Jet Robot

9. Back To Top    #9

I have a whole house surge (Leviton or one of the popular ones.) I'm considering a lightning arrestor from Delta (Delta Lightning Arrestors) and possibly the surge at my sub panel.

I need to also open up my sub panel and make sure things are grounded correctly and separate from the neutrals, etc. Everything passed inspection when installed, and I'd like to think the installer and inspector did things right. Seems the grounding vs bonding makes the best electricians question how things should be from time to time. Too often these topics seem to get confused for each other.
    TFT 100

10. Back To Top    #10

Can someone please post a picture or direct us to a thread that has the surge protectors. I took a close lightning strike and suspect my pump board is fried as well. I'd line to install a surge protector to protect the panel and pump if possible

Todd
    15x36 Gunite w/Diamond Brite(Bahama Breeze plaster), 3.5-6', Pentair Easytouch Automation panel, Pentair 3HP VS pump, Pentair CNC 420 filter, Pentair 5G color changing light, Polaris 360 cleaner w/booster, Pentair IC-20 SWG
    My pool build
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ales-Louisiana

11. Back To Top    #11

Here is a good article on comparing surge protectors: What Whole-House Surge Protection?

And here are a bunch of threads on it: Surge Protection
    Mark