Water level keeps dropping, need help finding/fixing a leak

May 20, 2016
Harmony, RI
Hi,

I became a homeowner a few months ago and, along with that, a pool owner as well. The pool was totally disgusting when I moved in, having been left uncovered for at least 1-2 years, came with no pump/filter, etc. By following the methods described on TFP, I got the pool up and running perfectly. Unfortunately, I think there must be a leak somewhere and I'm not sure what to do.

The water level in my pool drops slowly but surely everyday. I have had a garden hose stretched to the pool since April, and have to run it a bit every day or two to prevent the water level from dipping so low that the pump can't run. That's actually how the problem was first identified; persistent low pressure in the pump.

My observations are as follows: There is no obvious source of water loss. Nothing is wet. Every now and then, I'd estimate maybe 25% of the time, upon turning the pump off a big bubble of air comes burbling out of my skimmer basket and throws water a few feet in the air for a brief moment. I had just attributed this to a side effect of the pump running with low water levels and sucking in some air as a result.

What should I be doing next? The liner is old and has been through a lot but I definitely don't have the money for a new one this year since I just got into this house and depleted my savings. Draining the pool is absolutely not something I'd like to have to do now given the massive number of hours and dollars spent SLAMing and everything else. The kids love having the pool and I'd rather use it with the hose constantly running than suffer downtime and incur major cost by draining to replace the liner this year. I'm imagining I can just patch the leak but where do I even begin with trying to find it? There could be a dozen tears in the liner for all I know.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Andy

Andy, your description would seem to indicate air is somehow getting into your system causing the equalization issue when turned-off. But for readers to adequately help you further, it might help to know more about your pool/equipment. I'm assuming this is an in-ground vinyl, but your description is not populated. Please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post. Also let us know the following:
- How many poolside skimmers you have, and if you have a main drain.
- If there are any unusual elevation changes from your pool to the pump.
- Do you have any check-valves installed in the lines? (Check valves have the flap to prevent water backflow)
- Have you tried isolating the suction side and/or pressure side lines by closing a 3-way valve, then turning-off the pump for a day to observe potential water loss?

Here's a couple more links that may help:
Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks
Pool School - Leak Detection

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.