Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First ALGAE problem in 21 yrs!

1. Back To Top    #1

First ALGAE problem in 21 yrs!

WARNING! This may be long winded, but may help someone who's just starting to have an issue with their pool or a warning to new pool owners to save them the same aggravation I incurred after 21 yrs! Well after 21 yrs of having a pretty much crystal clear pool (not the same one, but same location), I've finally found myself with a problem. This year, after the first month of clear water, my pool went GREEN! I figured no problem, just throw some "shock" in there, as always, and it'll be all set! It never failed. Well this year, 2016, in the hottest week of the year, I tossed about ten times as much "shock" as normal so far and NOTHING! I have people running over to use the pool in temps in the 90's for over 5 days and my pool is still GREEN! My "girls" and all the kids are asking when the pool will be ready. Well, after reading TFP Pool School for the last 4 days, I kind of figured out what the problem was. I was thinking my CYA got too high (I added some last year like an idiot after reading stuff on the internet without testing properly). I went to Leslie's and they confirmed that I should lower my CYA before adding anything else. I kind of didn't trust the employee who did the test, but I went home and drained about 15% of the water and refilled. The next day I felt that I wanted someone "more professional" to test my water and give me a printout, which I thought I would get from Leslie's, so I went to a different pool store. I told myself I wasn't going to buy anything, I just wanted a printout. This store uses the "Bio-Guard" system. They gave me a printout and said my CYA was 151 ppm, but the range is 30 - 200 and I was OK. Just bring my Alkalinity up a bit and my PH down a bit. Add two of these $6.00 lbs of "Shock" and 12oz of this $36.00 Algaecide and it'll be fine in the morning! Unfortunately, I ended up buying the shock & algaecide as I already had Alkinity Plus & PH Down at home. I did everything the "printout" said and nothing happened! Well good thing I'm a lover and not a fighter, because I would've been back to that store in the morning. Instead, I read TFP for a little bit more and started to grasp what I was being taught! I bought the TF-100 Test kit, drained & filled 20% 3 more times before the Test Kit arrived and after my first tests, drained & refilled 20% again. I'm now in the SLAM Process and hoping all will be well in the next couple of days!

Test Results below:

7/21/16 Pool Store Results:

CYA 151
    FC 15
    CC 0
    TC 15
    TA 73
    CH 138
    PH 8.5

After a few drain/refills and TA & PH Adjustments using strips, I finally received my TF-100 Test Kit and my first results are:

9:30 AM

CYA 70
    FC 16
    CC 0
    TC 16
    CH125
    TA 90
    PH 7.5

After vacuuming to waste and another 15-20% drain/refill:

3:30 PM

CYA 55
    FC 10
    CC 0
    TC 10
    CH 125
    TA 80
    PH 7.5

I've now added 128oz 12.5% bleach to bring to shock level and will follow up soon...
    Bristol, Connecticut - 18' Round Above Ground - 8600 Gallons - Vinyl Liner - 19" Dia ProLine Sand Filter - 1 HP Hayward Power Flo LX Pump - TF 100 Test Kit w/Speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: First ALGAE problem in 21 yrs!

Welcome to TFP

Sounds like you've been reading and have it covered. Congrats on a good test kit. Post those questions if ya have 'em
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

You can do it!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Good job reading up! Use CYA of 60 and shock at 24.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Don't forget to Maintain that 24ppm. Test every hour or so and add chlorine as needed to get back to 24ppm
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all the responses! I'm a little confused...My current readings are below, I've only been testing FC because I'm SLAMing, Is this correct?

After adding the Gallon of 12.5% bleach at 5:30 pm on 7/25 my FC was at 26ppm

At 8:20 pm on 7/25 - FC @ 27ppm?

At 9:30 am on 7/26 - FC @ 26.5ppm

Shouldn't it have dropped more than that? The pool is still one big cloud, although it hasn't been as green after bringing the CYA down. I'd call it more of a "light greenish/grey". I can just about see the bottom. How long would it typically take to bring to clear? I'll keep checking every few hours throughout the day and look forward to any more suggestions! Unfortunately, I have to work early the next three days, so my tests won't be until the afternoon.
    Bristol, Connecticut - 18' Round Above Ground - 8600 Gallons - Vinyl Liner - 19" Dia ProLine Sand Filter - 1 HP Hayward Power Flo LX Pump - TF 100 Test Kit w/Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

Make sure you pause and swirl between each drop when doing the FC test. It sounds like most of the algae may be dead and you just need to filter out the debris. Keep the pump running so the filter can do its job until the pool is clear. Keep the pool at shock level until it is clear.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

For folks that work, test once and adjust FC before you go to work. Test & adjust as soon as you get home. Once or twice more before the last test & adjust before bed. Make sure you brush the pool at least once a day.

Is the pump running 24/7?

Have you been brushing?

How long will it take? That depends on you. This is not a pool store pour this in the pool and it will be fine in the morning procedure. The folks who hit it hard and test and adjust as much as they can during the day go quicker than those that do the minimum 3 times a day.

As you have a sand filter, many times to get the last little clearing you may need to add DE to your sand filter so it can filter finer particles out of the water. Personally I use the cellulose fiber DE replacement powder.

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Don't bother wit the DE until you pass your Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm starting to feel confident that TFP will help me get my water clear again!

On 7/26/16 at 1:30 pm my FC was @ 19ppm CC 0.5

I added 1/2 gal of 12.5% bleach to bring it back up to 26.5 ppm when tested at 2:30pm

I'm having so much fun I ordered the XL Refill and a Speed Stirrer!! I'm in no hurry as I don't know how to swim anyway!

I'll keep posting!

10. Back To Top    #10

I just ordered the SpeedStir! Looking forward to receiving it.

11. Back To Top    #11

On 7/26/16 at 4:45pm my FC was @ 24.5ppm Added 12oz of 12.5% bleach to bring back to Shock Level

Question....Should I backwash my Sand Filter at anytime during the SLAM process?

EDIT....Now I feel stupid, I just re-read the SLAM process page. I answered my own question..YES

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Vito1 View Post
    On 7/26/16 at 4:45pm my FC was @ 24.5ppm Added 12oz of 12.5% bleach to bring back to Shock Level

Question....Should I backwash my Sand Filter at anytime during the SLAM process?

EDIT....Now I feel stupid, I just re-read the SLAM process page. I answered my own question..YES
    Good job. Keep going back over the instructions and responses to your posts. You will continue to pick up on things you overlooked in the "heat of the moment".
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

13. Back To Top    #13

At 5:30 pm I backwashed the filter for 5 min and refilled and added 1 cup DE to my sand filter. After some reading I thought it may help. My pressure went up 1 PSI from clean. Retested...

FC - 20.5ppm
    CC - 0
    TC - 20.5
    CYA - 60?
    TA - 100
    PH - 7.8

Should I bring down the PH during a SLAM? I will add the next 1/2 gal of 12.5% to bring the shock level back up. It is OK to go a little over with the bleach?

Thanks for all the responses!!!

14. Back To Top    #14

Nope, pH reading is wrong with FC above 10, just focus on maintain slam level for FC, you are doing good... 😊

Starting day 5/25/2015 INTEX AGP 24'x12'x54" 8,400 gal, with salt and borax, INTEX 3,000 GPH pump with 16"sand filter, WM Hayward Skimmer, Intex SWG CG-28669, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

15. Back To Top    #15

Don't even bother testing anything other than FC/CC during the SLAM.

16. Back To Top    #16

Yes, it's OK to go a little over with the bleach, if you can't test for a few hours, also keep an eye on the pressure gauge for a while, don't let it go over 20% without backwash, usually DE is added to sand filter at the latest stage of the slam

Starting day 5/25/2015 INTEX AGP 24'x12'x54" 8,400 gal, with salt and borax, INTEX 3,000 GPH pump with 16"sand filter, WM Hayward Skimmer, Intex SWG CG-28669, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

17. Back To Top    #17

OK...Just an update. I'm now on Day 6 of my first SLAM process. I have to admit, I almost got a little discouraged after a few days and was tempted to just throw 5 gallons at it since the outdoor temps were in the 90's, and I thought it may speed things up so we could use the pool, but I stayed the course and my water now looks almost blue and I can see the bottom. I wouldn't call it clear yet, but oh so much better! I actually went in yesterday to vacuum & brush and it was certainly refreshing! As I was told, I haven't tested anything except FC for the past 3 days and have kept my FC Level at 26-28ppm as best as possible. Had to buy more chlorine. The new batch was a different brand than the last, but still 12.5%. Last night, 7/29/16, I tested at 9:15 pm and my FC was actually at 29ppm. I'm thinking the new chlorine was fresher and maybe a little stronger. A test this morning, 7/30/16, at 9:00 am shows the FC still at 29ppm. Is it normal to not lose any chlorine overnight? I'm thinking I'm on the homestretch!

My Speedstir should be delivered today, can't wait, I'm getting tired of all this FC Testing using both hands. I'll update later today with a complete set of tests. Thanks for all of the help from everyone! This site rocks!

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

I have seen many folks report a day or two of no loss and then all of a sudden a few ppm get lost. Make sure you're brushing and have cleaned in and around everything in the pool.

Another helpful tip: At this point, you could use a 5ml sample and then each drop would be be 1ppm FC. This is only like 1ppm accurate, but for now that should be good enough. Once you are clear and ready to do the overnite testing, switch back to 10ml or even 25ml. The accuracy goes up as you increase the sample size.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    I have seen many folks report a day or two of no loss and then all of a sudden a few ppm get lost. Make sure you're brushing and have cleaned in and around everything in the pool.

Another helpful tip: At this point, you could use a 5ml sample and then each drop would be be 1ppm FC. This is only like 1ppm accurate, but for now that should be good enough. Once you are clear and ready to do the overnite testing, switch back to 10ml or even 25ml. The accuracy goes up as you increase the sample size.
    Thanks! How would you figure the FC at 25ml?

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

It's actually part of the standard testing instructions. At 25ml you count each drop as .2ppm, at 10ml you count each as .5ppm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast