Newbie Concrete L Shaped pool build.

mirage

May 26, 2009
Not only are we newbies, we are acting as owner-builders and GC.

The dimensions are:
Pool Area 520 sq ft
Perimeter 100 ft
Volume ~19500 gallons
Depth 3.5'- 6'

Equipment: All Hayward
TriStar 1.5 HP Dual Speed Pump - Model:SP32152EE
Pro Grid 60 SQFT - DE Filter - Model: DE6020
Pro Logic PS-8 Combo Kit - Model: PL-PS8-Combo
-Saltwater Chlorinator Kit
-Wireless Pod Remote
-Wireless Base Receiver
-2 Goldline Actuators
Slide Backwash Filter Valve 2" DE - Model: SP0410X502S
2 ColorLogic 2.5 LED Pool Light 120V 100 FT Cord - ModeL: SP0525SLED100
2 Skim-Master 2-port Skimmer - 2" Slip - White - Model: SP10712SFVA
Water Leveler with Clear 10" Pour Lid - Model: SDI-WF420 CLEAR
6 Returns: 1.5" Directional Jet Fitting with 3/4" outlet - Model: SP1419

New decking is 570 SQFT

We will use solar panels from Costco which we read about on this site.

We are from Florida but are building in the Caribbean where most pools there are built using concrete blocks but we will build ours by using forms and pouring the walls.

The pool will be connected to an existing patio and suspended on a foundation with columns and beams since we are building on a slope.

We started the excavation for our concrete above ground L-shape pool on May 21st.

We welcome your comments and suggestions.

Thanks.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1719.jpg
    IMG_1719.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 2,140
  • IMG_1738.jpg
    IMG_1738.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 2,147
  • IMG_1761.jpg
    IMG_1761.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 2,152
Thanks everyone, the information and ideas on this site is priceless.

Henry, we have been closely following your build and it's been a valuable source of information for us. One of our neighbors is also from Sweden and has a pool but he hardly gets to enjoy it since he is only here for a few months a year.
What was your experience with the Pool and Spa Supply Store?

We have decided to go with a sand filter instead of the DE filter.

Can someone recommend a place or site to purchase these items in South Florida?

1 x Pro Logic PS-8 Combo Kit
1 x Pro Series Side Mount 30"
1 x Hayward TriStar Pool Pump 1.5 HP 2 speed
2 x ColorLogic 2.5 LED Pool Light 120v 100 FT Cord
1 x Hayward Slide Valve 2" DE
1 x Water Leveler with Clear 10" Pour Lid
6 x 1.5" Directional Jet Fitting with 3/4" outlet

Did we leave out anything?

Thanks

M

Hi Mirage!
I'm glad if there is anything in my log that have been useful for you:)
I'm very happy with pool and spa suppply store. Melissa is the one I have talked to over there and she has been tremendous for us. Their prices was not the lowest from my research but their service was on top so that weighed over.

Good luck with your build

//Mats

We thought we had decided on all of our equipment, but it came time to order, and we cannot seem to get everything so now we have to consider more options. Can anyone tell us what is the difference between the Hayward TriStar 1-1/2 HP, Energy Efficient, Full Rated Pump Model #SP3215EE and the Hayward Super 1 HP Single Speed Model #SP2607X10?

Thanks,
M

We finally placed the equipment order;

1 - PLP4 - Pro Logic Base System Control
1 - Gold Line AquaRite ProLogic & Aqua Logic Salt Chlorine Cell
1 - Hayward TriStar 1-1/2 HP, Energy Efficient Pump
1 - Sand Filter with Top Mount Valve 24 Inch Tank
2 - SunHeater 4' x 20' Solar Heating System
1 - SunHeater System Kit w/ Diverter Check, & Vacuum Relief Valves
2 - Aqua Logic Valve Actuator
2 - ColorLogic Light 120V 100' Cord

Glad to have this behind us.

Here are some more progress pics.

M.

Attachments

• IMG_1991.jpg
    IMG_1991.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 1,770
  • IMG_1996.jpg
    IMG_1996.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 1,780
  • IMG_1997.jpg
    IMG_1997.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 1,789

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We got rebar!

We settled on the super blue diamond brite, bishop hat deck pavers, a set of 4 Jany deck jets and a dolphin and beach mosaic.

The slab will be poured in the morning and should start the walls form work next week.

The ideas we have found here are priceless. :cheers:

M.

Attachments

• IMG_2063.jpg
    IMG_2063.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 1,660
  • IMG_2059.jpg
    IMG_2059.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 1,666
  • IMG_2069.jpg
    IMG_2069.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 1,675
I'm envious that you live in a place I would pay to vacation in.

I don't think I would be able to resist jumping off that deck into the pool.

Maybe I can't see it to well in the photos. Is the rebar elevated a few inches off the dirt with many small spacers or stones? This is critical to acheive proper strength.

Keep the pics coming.

Kevin

Awesome job there Mirage :cheers:
I love the form of the pool. It seems that both ends are even in lengths, unusually but very nice looking.
To be honest I hope you won't be swimming before me..... but I have a small feeling somewhere that you will 8)

take care!
Mats

Being newbies we are researching and reading everything we can find on pool construction.

The double mat rebar is spaced at 2" and 4" from the ground. The long sides are not exactly even. They are 25' and 26' long, but a 12' wide deck will be attached to the 25' side. The shape of the pool was determined by the fact that we wanted to tie it in nicely with the existing deck and squared off with the house.

The floor slab was poured yesterday. :whoot: It took 16 cubic yards of 8" thick concrete at 3700 psi.

We bought a Quik Water Leveler. Does anyone have pictures of it installed.

Thanks and keep the comments coming.

Attachments

• IMG_2096.jpg
    IMG_2096.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 1,546
  • IMG_2114.jpg
    IMG_2114.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 1,547
  • IMG_2107.jpg
    IMG_2107.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 1,549
This week went slower than expected but we completed the walls formwork and we should be pouring on Monday.

Up next will be the deck slab which we wanted to do with the walls but decided against it.

Does anyone have pics of their auto water leveler installation? We have tried google and here but we are not having much luck.

M.

Attachments

• IMG_2191.jpg
    IMG_2191.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 1,461
  • IMG_2181.jpg
    IMG_2181.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 1,461
  • IMG_2168.jpg
    IMG_2168.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 1,461
Hi Mirage!
I just want to confirm that you is aware that most preassure on a wall form with vibrated concrete is at the bottom and 1/3 of the total height of the form, meassured from the botttom. I would suggest that you reinforce those parts with extra braces.
I hope not come across harsh, but from my limited experience do I think that you have to be very careful with the pouring pace judged from how the framework looks like. My form could handle 1m/hour and I filled it in three laps. More laps mean less stress on the form.
Further notice! I had to mount 125 metal braces that hold the inner wall frame together with the outer by using a tool that tighten a special locking to secure that they will stay toghether throughout the pouring. That is what take most preassure from the concrete. I attach a pic of that metal brace and the lock.

Regards Mats
[attachment=1:2uufmct8]formlåsIMG_3045.gif[/attachment:2uufmct8]
[attachment=0:2uufmct8]formlåsIMG_3047.gif[/attachment:2uufmct8]

Attachments

• formlÃ¥sIMG_3045.gif
    formlåsIMG_3045.gif
    166.9 KB · Views: 1,417
  • formlÃ¥sIMG_3047.gif
    formlåsIMG_3047.gif
    176.3 KB · Views: 1,416
Here is a pic of my auto leveler housing. I don't have a pic of the inside with me. I can take a pic of the inside if you want.

The inside is just a toilet bowl float valve. I'm not kidding...I looked it up. The same exact part number is used in some toilets.

131_3177.jpg

Hello mirage i just want to say i agree with Henry, i was going say something the other day........ :-D

as you can see on the top photo right side wall has a bow. When i built another pool for my neighbour , i used steel poles as you have and i had steel formwork, i had a lot more bracing than you have used and still had a blow out in one 2ft section. when you vibrate there is alot of pressure. i think you need to use more bracing, especially along the bottom. imho :)

cheers trying to be helpfull
Happy swims Frank
chef turned builder [3 houses so far including neighbours]

We took heed of some of your warnings but still had a blow out :hammer: . Luckily we were able to deal with it immediately causing the concrete pour for the walls to be much longer than expected. The last truck left after 10pm and it took 18 cubic yards to complete the walls.

The form work for the interior walls held perfectly so the interior walls are near perfect. The section where the exterior wall blew out in the deep end has a beer belly according to my wife. :oops:

Before we proceed to the next stage we want to check the integrity of the pool for leaks.

It's been suggested that we fill the pool, but paying for 20,000 gallons of water does not sound like a good viable option.

Since a waterproofing agent was included in the concrete and that the pool will have at least a 1/4" of diamond brite applied to it, will this be enough to reduce any leaks?

Another option is to apply another waterproofing agent to the walls before the the diamond brite is applied.

Since the walls were poured the interior walls surface are very smooth. Is it recommended that the walls be plastered before the diamond brite is applied or not?

Lots of questions but as newbies this should be expected. :blah: :blah:

Thank you.

Mirage

Attachments

• IMG_2272 v2.jpg
    IMG_2272 v2.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 1,141
  • IMG_2275 v2.jpg
    IMG_2275 v2.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 1,147
  • IMG_2237 v2.jpg
    IMG_2237 v2.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 1,148

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.