First Intel pool 13ft x 39"

Jul 25, 2016
Columbus
Am just wanting to know how much chlorine tablets to use, how often and was reading about liquid chlorine bleach to shock instead of using pool shock. Insight on how to do it and how much to use.

pH 6.8 or less
Cl 0.5 or less
Br 1 or less

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: We don't advocate using chlorine tabs on a regular basis because of the side effects they cause (high CYA). Regular bleach is the weapon of choice against algae. Your basic test results are alarming for very low pH and FC (if they are correct). Are you testing with test strips or a drop-based tester? Ideally, you want to be using either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. Just about any other testing method is less than desirable provided inconsistent results.

You might also want to take a moment to review the TFP Pool School page. From there you'll receive some great insight as to the desired levels require for each chemical. I also have some vital links below in my signature that will help you quite a bit as well.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Re: First Intel pool 13ft x 39"

Drop based it just has 2 slots and a red and a yellow filled droppers on the one side it says Cl and Br with yellow and on the other side pH with red. I filled with a garden hose it's city water and no water restrictions. I'm not sure what to do I have bleach not sure how much and where to start

- - - Updated - - -

We have only had it up for about a wk n half

No problem. We can help you, but you'll have a small learning curve yourself. So let's start with the following:
- Your test kit is only designed to tell you if you have "some" chlorine (Total Chlorine - no free or combined). It won't measure precise amounts of chlorine high enough when you need it. For that and all the other important tests you'll need a better kit to use at home. It's a one-time cost that will last all season and part of next. It will save you money from the pool store because you'll know exactly what you need without waste. We recommended the TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. That should be your #1 priority.
- Have you ever added any stabilizer/conditioner? This will tell us the "CYA" level which in-turn drives your proper Free Chlorine (FC) level.
- Until you get the test kit, you need to keep some Free Chlorine (FC) in the water to prevent algae. We do this with regular bleach which is the same as chlorine. If you haven't added any chlorine yet, you should add about 1/4 gallon of bleach each evening.
- Your pH needs to be in the mid-7s. You can increase pH by using borax from the grocery store.
- Lastly, you're going to have to bookmark and refer to those links below in my sig. The Chemicals list tells you what to use in your water, the Levels list tells you what each one should be, and the Poolmath Calculator helps you to know how much to add.

But all of this starts with proper testing. For now, increase the pH to the Mid-7s, increase FC (your tester only says "CL") to about 4, and order one of the recommended test kits. I highly recommend the TF-100 (with speed stir). It will save you money in the long-run. While some of this info may seem very foreign and overwhelming at first, with some review and repetition you will have the knowledge to be 100% in control of your water. You will save money, have clean water, and be in control which is what TFP is all about.

So start with those tips and keep in touch if you have questions and once you get the proper test kit in your hands so you can post a full set of test numbers for us. Have a nice evening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.