Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA 50 and pH 7.2, both have been stable for more than a week

1. Back To Top    #1

TA 50 and pH 7.2, both have been stable for more than a week

After my initial fill I gradually lowered my TA to 50. I was going for 60 but overshot a little bit. Then I adjusted my pH to 7.6, and after checking pH again a few hours later -- to confirm that it was still 7.6 -- I immediately added 46 ounces of boric acid to reach a calculated 50 ppm of borates.

It's been more than a week since I added the boric acid. Since then my TA has tested at either 50 or 60, and my pH has consistently been 7.2 in my daily tests ... so it looks like my pool has reached equilibrium.

Should I be concerned about having a TA of 50?
    Intex 10' vinyl above-ground pool, only 1200 gallons, with 55-gallon gravity-flow sand filter, shaded by a tree in the morning then exposed to full sun all afternoon

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA 50 and pH 7.2, both have been stable for more than a week

I would not be concerned if your pH is stable and at 7.2.

You have a vinyl pool so CSI is not very important as long as it's not too high.

Have you swam in the pool yet? Does it bother your eyes at all?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

A TA of 50 is still within the TFP acceptable range as noted on the Pool School - Recommended Levels page. I'd say you are in good shape. Just keep an eye on the pH to ensure it doesn't drop below 7.2. Have a nice day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you swam in the pool yet? Does it bother your eyes at all?
    My son and I have both been in the pool several times this year, and neither of us are uncomfortable with the current pH level. Our eyes are just fine.

Thanks for confirming that the current TA is acceptable. I like the fact that the pH has not moved in more than a week. If I'm lucky maybe it will stay there the rest of the year. Nevertheless I'm keeping a close eye on it so I can raise it if it drops any lower.
    Intex 10' vinyl above-ground pool, only 1200 gallons, with 55-gallon gravity-flow sand filter, shaded by a tree in the morning then exposed to full sun all afternoon