Someone please help me

Jul 25, 2016
Picayune, Ms
Hi! I am a first time very small pool owner. I have one of those easy set intex pools. It's only 2 1/2 foot deep. Went out of town for the weekend and I guess the chlorine ran out, and had major green algae. Bought algaecide that turned it milky color and then shocked. Have shocked about three times now. My test kit only tests ph and chlorine and the ph is right and the chlorine only measures up to eight, but it is way more yellow than the 8. The water simply will not clear up. I've been reading a lot that the liquid shock is better than the powder or to just use bleach. I just don't want to over do it. Some products I've read on have stated that over dosing the chemical can cause more cloudiness. Since it is such a small pool, I am tempted to just drain, scrub and refill and start over with the right chemicals since I've done a bit of research now, but I live with my mom and she is very worried about the water bill. ( It's only a 2500 gallon pool) But her house, her rules. I'm cleaning my filter out at least twice a day. More if I'm off from work. It's constantly pulling white slime out but it's been like this for about a week and a half now. Am I missing something? Should I do something different?

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: With a pool that size, it's generally best to simply dump it, clean it, and start fresh. You may use just as much money in bleach and time trying to clear it up. You'll see great info on the TFP Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools page. It covers set-up, algae, and testing for such small pools, and it's all done with a simple over-the-counter test kit.

Now if your mom insists on performing a TFP "SLAM" to clear the algae like a regular-size pool, then you'll need the proper test kit (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C) - link below in my sig. Those cost a bit more but last us all season. But in your case, I'm almost certain the water change would be cheaper. Talk it over with her and let her read the links I've provided if it will help. We'll help you either way you choose.

Drain it.

The water rates for Picayune, MS are $3.25 per 1000. That is under $10.00 to refill that pool. Look that up online and print it out for your Mom.

Once drained, put in 1 pint of Clorox each evening (that's about 30 cents) and enjoy what's let of the swim season. Test the pH every now and then and test the chlorine IN THE AM about twice each week (It shouldn't be over about 4 ppm)

That's it. Go swimming

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.