Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to prevent weeds in rock around pool...

1. Back To Top    #1

How to prevent weeds in rock around pool...

We had our pool put in last October, so this is the first Summer we've been able to enjoy it, but we're still working on all the landscaping around it. We put an ornamental aluminum fence around the pool and currently just have dirt (with weeds) between the concrete decking and the fence.

We want to put Colorado River rock in that space and then extend the rock to about 12-18 inches outside of the fence.

I've been told to put down landscape fabric first, then put some smaller rock (pea gravel or drainage rock) on top of that as a base, and THEN put our river rock on top of that.

But while doing research I've read people say not to put rock on top of landscape fabric.

Any thoughts? Does anybody have a similar setup, and if so, what has been your experience?

Anything else I might need to keep in mind or consider? Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to prevent weeds in rock around pool...

We have a similar set up below our fence all the way around the pool. 3' wide strip of river rock under the fence line. Landscape fabric should always be used underneath rock. I personally prefer the fabric that has a visible web pattern rather than the fabric that has a more felt-like appearance. Finer dust/dirt might be able to pass through the wider weave, lessening the build up of dirt in the rock while still preventing weeds. That's just my general opinion on fabric type.

The layer of pea/drainage rock underneath the river rock is unnecessary and may lead to just more dirt accumulation in the rock. Make sure to have enough space to have a full 3-4" of river rock below grade.

Eventually after 10-15 years on any landscape rock, you'll start to get weeds no matter how well it was installed. Dirt/dust from wind and rain build up in the rock and weeds find a home. Pulling it out and redoing is the only option then.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the feedback! Do you have grass next to the rock on the outside of the fence? If so, how do you keep the grass from infiltrating the rock?

We're going to have to lay sod. But we have a slight slope and a swale on both sides of the fence, so I might build a dry creek bed beside the rock, in the middle of the swale, to help with drainage... and then lay sod on the other side of the dry creek bed.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have rock all the way around my pool decking. I have no fabrick and seldom get weeds. I first sprayed roundup to kill all vegetation and just put river rock about 2 inches deep. I do periodically get weeds but I only have to pull them about every other week for no more than 2 minutes of work each time. I also have a torch that I will use to burn them if I don't feel like bending over.
    18x36 inground vinyl 27000 gal approx. Hayward heatpump heater. Hayward 1 hp super pump single speed. Hayward sand filter. Maytronics dolphin robotic cleaner. TFP 100

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by arbryant1 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! Do you have grass next to the rock on the outside of the fence? If so, how do you keep the grass from infiltrating the rock?

We're going to have to lay sod. But we have a slight slope and a swale on both sides of the fence, so I might build a dry creek bed beside the rock, in the middle of the swale, to help with drainage... and then lay sod on the other side of the dry creek bed.
    Plastic landscape edging for a border between the rock and grass. Make sure the edging is buried to the right height so you can run the lawn mower right over it with the wheels of the one side of the lawn mower right in the rock.

The edging is much easier to work with if you unroll it and lay it in the sun for a while before starting to install.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

Pour bags of salt in the rocks. I make weed killer with water saturated with pool salt (2 gallons) with roughly 16 ounces of Hydrochloric acid and a few ounces of any type of liquid soap( to break surface tension). I put it in a 2 gallon pump-up sprayer.

7. Back To Top    #7

I used fabric and have the occasional weed pop through. My PB who used to be in landscape biz in previous life said he used to use old composite roof shingles ( rocks just right on top of them ). He said nothing would grow through that.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

8. Back To Top    #8

Applying a pre-emergent a couple times a year keeps weeds/seeds from germinating.

I've used this stuff and it really makes a difference in the amount of round up I end up having to use the rest of the season.

https://www.amazon.com/Monterey-LG-5.../dp/B000I1O7ZU
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x

9. Back To Top    #9

In my opinion, use landscape fabric! A landscaping forum would tell you to avoid landscape fabric because it "kills" the dirt (the normal cycle is disrupted - oldl leaves don't have the chance to break down and feed the soil etc) So I wouldn't recommend landscape fabric under mulch in an ornamental or vegetable garden.

HOWEVER, our landscaper was supposed to put river rock on top of landscape fabric between our pool decking and the fence. Apparently they decided to take a short cut and left 6-12 inches uncovered around the perimeter (fabric must have been a little too narrow and rather than cutting additional pieces they got lazy. GRRR). We noticed it quickly because the number of weeds growing through the area without fabric was many times higher than the rest. Landscape fabric makes a big difference.

It's been a couple years and it's gotten even worse because those rocks are starting to sink into the soil and therefore even more soil is available for the weeds. I spent a good 15 hours moving the stones in a 10 linear foot section. I put landscape fabric down and shock the excess dirt off before replacing the rocks. Much better now. But I have hundreds of linear feet left to go (and not the time) (frustrates me because if they had done it right the first time it would have only taken an extra hour or two for the entire pool area.

Another warning, make sure the rocks aren't too big. I had wanted the rocks that are approx. 3" (medium sized), but many of the rocks in the mix they brought are 6" or so...because they are so big, they have been cracking over time leaving little shards of rock (which scratch feet but also make it easier for seeds to take root)
    -20'x30'x40' lagoon shaped IG vinyl pool (Nov 2013); 27,500 gallons
    -SWG , Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump , DE Filter, Pentair Mastertemp Pool Heater.
    -Municipal water as fill (high pH of 8+)
    -No pool cover and TigerShark vacuum. TFT100

10. Back To Top    #10

X2 on pre-emergent.

I absolutely hate landscape fabric. After a couple years enough dirt/dust settles on it that weeds start to grow on top of of the barrier. Also if you ever need to get below it, I have low voltage lighting and sprinkler lines running in under several areas of rock, it's a huge PIA. Using a good pre-emergent, like Amaze, a couple times a year you will never have weeds.
    16' x 32' IG 20k Gallon
    Traditional White Plaster
    Hayward Tristar VS Pump
    Hayward Navigator Pro
    Pentair 60 Sq. Ft.

11. Back To Top    #11

We have 12-16in of river rock between our decking and a wall. Previous owner went landscape fabric route. This year I was digging it all out, it was a nightmare. Dirt had built up and caused a mess.

This round I went with no fabric and I've been diligent with roundup and pulling the weeds. I like the salt idea.
    In-ground 15x30 concrete pool with vinyl liner
    Triton II sand filter, Hayward Pump, Raypak 266 heater
    Rehab thread: Pool rehab, need advice

12. Back To Top    #12

We use Ortho GroundClear $18.00/gal at Home Depot. 1 qt mixed with 1 gal of water treats 75 sq ft. Applied in March and have not had any weeds or grass in the river rock between the pool and raised planting area. The river rock when down right on top of the dirt, no fabric.
    25K,IG Vinyl + 25 yrs, Sand Hayward 244, Jandy E 1.5 var, AutoPilot Total Control SWG, Hayard Tirger Shark cleaner, Lamotte WaterLink Spin & K-2006 FAS-DPD test kits

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Nothing will grow through many things. What does happen though is dirt and debris settle down between/among the rocks and eventually forms the soil hat weeds need. But then a spray once that occurs becomes an a occasional task.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

14. Back To Top    #14

I use a homemade weed killer that works and it's inexpensive. I was concerned about commercial brand weed killers with my dog. Here's what you do;
    Mix ;
    1 Gallon Distilled White Vinegar
    1 cup Salt
    2 tablespoons of Dawn Liquid Dish Detergent

Put it in a tank sprayer. I guarantee it will kill weeds, poison Ivy or pesky vines.
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu07 View Post
    I use a homemade weed killer that works and it's inexpensive. I was concerned about commercial brand weed killers with my dog. Here's what you do;
    Mix ;
    1 cup Salt

Put it in a tank sprayer. I guarantee it will kill weeds, poison Ivy or pesky vines.
    I have used this works great, but it will have to reapplied a few times over the season. Good for kids and pets and cheap like borscht
    Lou - 13.5K Gal pool, AG Intex 24 X 52"
    19" Sand Filter/1 hp pump, Aqua Trol SWG
    90 sq ft Homemade Solar panels + 80 sq ft Fafco panels, coupled with a SS heat exchanger/Hot Water Tank, Pentair SolarTouch, Taylor k-2006

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by arbryant1 View Post

just finished this project
    landscape fabric and "no dig" landscape edging from Lowes.
    NO DIG!
    Needs mowing
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu07 View Post
    Mix ;
    1 cup Salt

For plants I REALLY want to kill I just pour on straight vinegar, does the trick. It's one of the only things that destroys moss as well.
    In-ground 15x30 concrete pool with vinyl liner
    Triton II sand filter, Hayward Pump, Raypak 266 heater
    Rehab thread: Pool rehab, need advice

18. Back To Top    #18

What material is that edging, rubber, metal or plastic? I'm also looking for a non-dig option. Thanks!
    -- 15 x 24 AG, 8700gal, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filtration with 1.5 HP Power-Flo LX Pump, Dolphin Escape, Taylor K-2006 --

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by vivCDG View Post
    What material is that edging, rubber, metal or plastic? I'm also looking for a non-dig option. Thanks!
    I think it is the same stuff I have around my pool. It's hard plastic. Mine is now going on it's 3 year of use. Still working great.

Shop Oldcastle 6-Pack 3.33-ft Black Plastic Landscape Edging Sections at Lowes.com

Excuse the dead grass - water restrictions. I see you are in Fair Lawn - I got mine from the Lowes on Rt 23 in Riverdale.

[IMG][/IMG]
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by vivCDG View Post
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/ProFlex-N...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by phonedave View Post
    I think it is the same stuff I have around my pool. It's hard plastic. Mine is now going on it's 3 year of use. Still working great.

Shop Oldcastle 6-Pack 3.33-ft Black Plastic Landscape Edging Sections at Lowes.com

Excuse the dead grass - water restrictions. I see you are in Fair Lawn - I got mine from the Lowes on Rt 23 in Riverdale.

[IMG][/IMG]
    I take it that's for your solar cover? nice.
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast