New to Forum and Need HELP BADLY!!!

Schmu

Jul 25, 2016
Cincinnati/Ohio
Hello, I just got a new pool 3 years ago and have had nothing but problems with it. I have absolutely no knowledge about how to maintain the chemicals and so forth. I have gotten lucky I guess up until the last 2 years. I got algae really bad last year but was able to get rid of it. This year has been a pain in the butt and also breaking the bank on chemicals. I have spent literally over $500 in chemicals trying to get the levels in my pool correct. I am not showing anything when I test the pool. I have dumped so much liquid chlorine into my pool, stabilizer, Ph plus, you would think my liner would have gone up in flames.
Every time I went to Watson's to get my water checked they recommended spending more money on some other chemical, that really did nothing. I am at a loss as to what to do. PLEASE ADVISE ME!! Is there a site I can go to that will educate me on how to take care of my pool, without spending hundreds of dollars again?:confused:

Welcome to the forum!

As mentioned, you have come to the correct place.

Like you, I fumbled through my first couple of seasons, ending with a green swamp.

Now that I understand what my pool needs, and only give it what it needs, I am on my second season of TFPC (Trouble Free Pool Care) and have the clearest water in the neighborhood. With the exception of opening, I have not shocked my pool at all this season either. I own a smaller pool (6700gal), & the cost of chlorine (12.5% liquid) for me so far this season is a whopping $30. I am lucky that my pH is rock solid & I don't need to add acid, so that $30 + $15 for CYA at opening adds up to $45 in chemicals for the year so far.

Nobody will care for your pool like you will. You are in this to swim, not to make money selling chemicals.

An accurate and dependable test kit is a must. I use the Taylor K2006, but the TF-100 mentioned above is a much better value, and uses the same Taylor reagents, just in better quantities.

Be sure to read through the Pool School links posted above, they will get you on the right track. Be sure to put your pool's details into your signature as explained in "Getting Started". We love pictures too!

Nice to have you here.

Dom