Leaving SWG for Liquid Chlorine

kr8434

Gold Supporter
Apr 13, 2014
Northern Virginia
My salt cell is dead and I'm planning on using liquid chlorine for the remainder of the season. I had a few questions.

1. The SWG's power is configured to work off the main pump on the same circuit. I've set chlorine production to zero but I'm wondering if there's some way to disable the power to the unit, and whether this is even necessary -- I am merely interested in reducing energy consumption.

2. Should I do anything about my salt levels, which were maintained at the correct level when I was running the SWG?

3. Any other cautions on making this transition? Given the cost, I may decide to run the pool on liquid chlorine and never use the SWG again...

Thanks.

My salt cell is dead and I'm planning on using liquid chlorine for the remainder of the season. I had a few questions.

1. The SWG's power is configured to work off the main pump on the same circuit. I've set chlorine production to zero but I'm wondering if there's some way to disable the power to the unit, and whether this is even necessary -- I am merely interested in reducing energy consumption.

2. Should I do anything about my salt levels, which were maintained at the correct level when I was running the SWG?

3. Any other cautions on making this transition? Given the cost, I may decide to run the pool on liquid chlorine and never use the SWG again...

Thanks.

1. I would simply unplug the power cable to the unit myself

2. Many people put salt in their manually chlorinated pools. Won't hurt a thing

3. Biggest thing here is to check your CYA level and make sure you're adding enough chlorine to stay above recommended levels in the FC/CYA relationship. Chlorine levels are a bit higher for manually chlorinated pools. If your CYA levels are high, you might want to do a partial drain.

The salt will eventually dilute away.

Regarding power, there is no real reason to disconnect it. The power light may be on using a few watts. I suppose you could disconnect the wires at the source (not the SWG) taking it off line completely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.