saltwater system filter and sand filter on intex pool

Jul 6, 2016
boston, ma
Hi. I have a 16x48 intex pool, that came with a saltwater system(with a filter attached). I also have an intex sand filter that I hooked up to the pool and saltwater system. Everything seems to be working fine, but here are some things that I am noticing throughout the day-
1. The hose that runs from the skimmer to the sand filter basket is sucked in all of the time- I loosen the small "plug" at the top, a bunch of air expels, I tighten it back up, it happens again shortly after. If I leave the "plug" loosened, water comes out.
2. The big sand filter gets indented as well.
3. The water isn't continually going back into the pool- it is slow at times, fast at times, and nothing at times.
4. All of my levels are fine- per pool store- but chlorine shows 0, even the day after I add liquid shock.

I would appreciate any and all help!!! THANKS!!
Kim

I think you have an air leak, could you take a look all around and see if something is dripping when the pump is off?

Starting day 5/25/2015 INTEX AGP 24'x12'x54" 8,400 gal, with salt and borax, INTEX 3,000 GPH pump with 16"sand filter, WM Hayward Skimmer, Intex SWG CG-28669, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Welcome to TFP.

Yup, at the least an air leak on the suction side of the pump.

That plug is for purging air when it gets into the system. It sits on the filter basket. If everything is working properly, there should never be any air in there. Check your connections from the pool outlet to the filter basket.

I have no idea what you mean by the big sand filter getting indented. That seems impossible as it's made out of rigid plastic.
Picture would help :D

As an additional issue, if your chlorine level is zero you have serious water quality issues. Read the Pool School articles on basic water chemistry. Stop using pool store "shock" stuff and follow the instructions for the SLAM process.

Oh, and read the article called "read before you post" so you can put the information in your signature that we need to help you.
Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.