Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heating an Olympic Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Heating an Olympic Pool?

Hi There,

I have a chance to buy a former swim club dirt cheap. It has one full-size Olympic pool and one Junior Olympic pool.
    Both are outdoor.

It is zoned RD-5. In my sunny part of California, that means it can be used as "Light Commercial" or "Residential."

If I did everything right -- commercial heat pump plus solar heater -- how much would it cost me to maintain
    the Olympic pool at a comfortable temperature?

My fear is this: I buy the property at a fire sale price, and then find myself unable to afford the monthly costs of
    heating and maintenance.

All responses greatly appreciated !!!!

Stacy

P.S. Both pools are over 30 years old. I lack the expertise to know how important this might be for my upkeep costs. Thx!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heating an Olympic Pool?

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here

Any chance you can get their records? Utility bills? Temperature setpoints, running dates?

If not, you'll need to know dimensions to answer your question, and the estimate will be very rough. You'll also need to know if you want it nice and warm or just warm enough. You'll also need to decide season length or year-round.

For solar, you can use google earth to determine where you'd put the solar system. For residential pools, it's nice to have 2/3 or more of pool surface area in heating panels.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Do you have any idea of the actual gallons of the pools? I have seen everything under the sun, size wise, referred to as an Olympic size pool. As was mentioned, past records from the utilities should give you an idea of operating costs.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Size in gallons? Indoors? Lot's of info missing.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Sounds like you are in unfamiliar territory.

Why do you want to purchase this property?

What will be its main purpose?

What does it have for equipment now?

Why is it for sale?

If you are planning on keeping it as a business and you don't have funds to keep it running until you become profitable or at least to the break even point, you will need investors. As for what it would cost you to run the pool and keep it warm, I would say, lots of money.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all the comments and help. I will do more research, and report back. Thanks again!

7. Back To Top    #7

While those pools are large they don't look anywhere near "olympic" size. I am guessing those are half olympic size (25 meter long vs full olympic 50 meter long pools). While we are on the topic of competition pools official Olympic competition pools are kept at 78 degrees F, which is far cooler water than most people like to swim. When the summer Olympics were in Atlanta about 20 years ago, they employed a solar panel system running at night to dissipate heat, and still had problems getting the pools cool enough for regulation temperature.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

Looks like there are some solor panels on the roof opposite of the one pool.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

9. Back To Top    #9

Where is the pool located? Your profile says Palm Springs, but that image looks like the property is off of 80.

edit: never mind, I see its for sale in Sacramento for 450k
    Build Video 2016 -- Solar Pad 20.5K gunite (37'x15') rectangle (3.5'-7') deep-- MicroFusion Laguna finish -- Jandy VS pump, cartridge and iAqualink RS -- Polaris 360 Black -- 2 Laminar jets -- 2 nichless 30w color led -- 550sq/ft Heliocol solar -- Soft water auto fill -- Stenner 17gpd

10. Back To Top    #10

Seems like a money pit, strange twin facility across the freeway too. Attachment 52567
    Build Video 2016 -- Solar Pad 20.5K gunite (37'x15') rectangle (3.5'-7') deep-- MicroFusion Laguna finish -- Jandy VS pump, cartridge and iAqualink RS -- Polaris 360 Black -- 2 Laminar jets -- 2 nichless 30w color led -- 550sq/ft Heliocol solar -- Soft water auto fill -- Stenner 17gpd