above ground pool survive winter without water

Jul 25, 2016
Toronto
Hi,

Newbie here. Liked the info in this forum. And think there are experts here who may be able to help me.

Simple Question : Can a above ground pool go through a winter without the water and liner in it. (location : Toronto, Canada) for the weather conditions.

Details: Bought a house last year fall season. When I moved in, they had closed the pool. Opened up pool this summer to find that the there was a tear in the liner along the return jet valve caused by the rusted wall behind. Based on pool shops opinions, took down the water and tore up the liner to check for further damage. Rust limited to a very specific area. Since I will be away from home for 2-3 months this summer, I want to get the wall repaired next april. Is it safe to keep the pool structure without water and liner through the winter ? Can it cause structural damage for the walls ?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP :)

Leaving a pool empty is just about the worse thing you could do.. they can turn into giant kites and fly away and damage just about everything in there way if the pool survives being ripped apart..

Will it hold any water? the best way would be to replace the liner now and get water into it.. even if you do nothing to the pool and it turns green it is better than leaving it empty..

The other option would be to take the walls down and take the pool apart and then reinstall next fall..

Sorry, I know you were looking for better news..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.