Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new water feature pump won't prime??

1. Back To Top    #1

Fair Oaks Ranch/tx

new water feature pump won't prime??

I just replaced the pump that runs water features -- 2 spillways & a 3 jet water spout. I can't get the darn thing to prime. Changes all bearings/gaskets with the pump. All o-rings and seals seem fine. I've run a home to the pump feed and it gives some action so I think the outflow is good. If I close the 3 outflow valves and try to build pressure it tries, but just won't suck water. Best I can get is a trickle from the spillways. Any ideas??

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: new water feature pump won't prime??

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here Hopefully my bump will find someone better at this than me.

Is the pump above or below the water level? What make/model pump is it? What size pipes?
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766 Salt, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Pentair Rebel pool cleaner; FlowViz flow meter; prior pool AG 10k - Be Safe - FC / CYA Chart - Become a TFP Supporter - Read Before Posting

3. Back To Top    #3

Martinez, CA

Re: new water feature pump won't prime??

Did you try to fill the basket with water and quickly reattach the lid?
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall