Might have to do first slam

No it won't hurt anything. We like to keep our pools swimmable and in good shape. The shock level used in a SLAM is about the same level of active chlorine as a well-run commercial or institutional indoor swimming pool using zero CYA and 1 ppm FC, and they would run a pool like that at 1-2 ppm FC.

My heart sank!

Water is super clear. Tested for fc

First result: 16.5
What the?
Second result: 18
Darn it!
So I lost 2-2.5ppm from 9pmto7:30am. Not sure why the variance in the two tests and maybe it was too dark and I was too sleepy for the test last night

Gah! So close!

Guess I'll watch it over the weekend to keep it no lower then 8 (for my cya) and then raise it if it's still not passing oclt.

Frigggggg

Guess I'll watch it over the weekend to keep it no lower then 8 (for my cya) and then raise it if it's still not passing oclt...

Actually you'd be better off keeping it at SLAM level until you pass the OCLT. Dropping to target only invites whatever is living in there to not die as quickly.

If you don't tell them they'd never know. See needsajet's post #61.

Somebody around here was SLAMming their pool at the beginning of the season with CYA 70 and FC 28 and nobody in the pool could tell.

I secretly hope no one wanted to swim and you kept it at 24 or you took the plunge; I hope that's not mean :)

If not, I hope you kept above 12 rather than dropping to target. Too bad we didn't make deadline and pass an OCLT, but still, you've got it under your own control and you'll be real happy after.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, anything to worry about that there's still "something" being attacked by the FC?

Today and tomorrow are gonna be beautiful.

I actually wasn't able to get to adding chlorine yesterday. Got busy with not being home. It's at 12ppm this morning. I didn't add last night. Will add a little to give me a buffer over 12. Sure hope it doesn't bother our toddler's eczema.

It's important to understand that the vast majority of the free chlorine is bound to CYA. It just happens to be that FC is easy to measure so that's what pools are tested for. Your pool at 12, or 24 for that matter, has less active chlorine than a well-run institutional indoor pool with no CYA. Active chlorine is commonly referred to as the "harsh" part of the chlorine system. FWIW (I'm no doctor!) I've had eczema all my life and heat and sweat make it flare up, but not the pool. For me, the pool always makes it feel better.

The algae is being attacked by the active chlorine. As it is used up, more active chlorine is released from the CYA. Your overnight loss is telling you that there's algae being eliminated. Algae is a nuisance, but not harmful unless live or dead algae obscures the bottom of the pool, making it unsafe to swim because you can't see a swimmer everywhere in the pool.

Thanks. Makes me feel much better knowing that new info. I going to have to go and enjoy the outdoors today.

Thanks again. Hope you've had a great weekend

Hi Benjydog,

I too was skeptical about swimming in my pool while SLAMing a few weeks back. I did go in the pool to brush carefully around my lights. I thought the water felt and smelled fine (not a huge chlorine smell), and had read on TFP that at a CYA of 70 it was safe to swim as high as 28 FC, so I went under water without goggles and opened my eyes, and it was fine! I also have eczema and it was not bothered by the water either. BTW, my pool is now pristine and super-sparkly after the SLAM too, with FC back down to 5 :))))

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With the anonymity of most web forums, you don't really feel the sense of community. Having been reading many threads on here since 2013 and posting only a few topics, it's amazing how welcomed I've felt and how honestly helpful and concerned the responses have been. I've really felt that those who have responded really want to help me and my pool problems!

Thank you all!

I've brought the pool back up to slam and will check twice more tonight to keep it there do another oclt. Did another brush and vacuum

Water is clear and looking amazing

Many things make this a unique forum, but one of the best aspects is that the experts will correct anything that's wrong or misleading. So at least you don't get: "I bought it, it works for me, therefore it's good"

Did you know you can become a supporter? It's a modest one-time donation that helps pay for the software and hosting costs. No pressure, you'll get good advice either way. This allows everyone to keep helping others. Link in my signature.

Ok, so here is what this SLAM came down to....

Time:
Started PM on Monday July 25th ended AM on Monday August 1st (6.5 days)

Expenses:
1. 60ML R-0871-C reagent - $ 45.14
2. Muriatic acid (1.5L used of 4L, plus gloves and a glass measuring cup for applications) - $28.22
3. approx. 70L of Chlorine (needsajet - I'll play by the TFP rules a round up to 70?) - $71.08
4. 2 boxes of Borax (not really sure why I felt the need to buy it but thought I better have in case I need to raise TA) - $13.04

= $157.48 (but I still have 2.5L acid & accessories, 2 boxes borax and reagents for the rest of the summer)

Needsajet - I owe you a slab next time I'm in Sydney (assuming you're of local age of course!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.