Might have to do first slam

Thanks so much! It looked nothing like that when we moved in a few years back.

I took pennywise36's advise and got 6 jugs of the stuff from Canadian tire (5L for $4 @10%). Already gone through the 20L I bought from the pool store. So I've gotten 30 of that additional 50 you suggested. Guess where I'm stopping on my drive tomorrow. Shall we wager for next time I'm in sydney?

Just checked the pool
FC- 18
So I added the 6L as per pool math.

Hope 30L lasts till the morning :)

Yep, time to look for algae hiding places. And is there anyone at or near home? If so, you could leave a jug and get them to pour half in around mid-day.

(by the way, I'm secretly hoping for a fast SLAM and lose the bet!)

I made sure to brush (as best I could) the underside of the ladder. If I don't vacuum/backwash, maybe I'll jump in to pull the lights and scrub with a brush everywhere as well.

My problem is timing. By the time I get home from work, get my son to bed and have dinner, it's time for me to get to bed. I'm sure I'm not the only one with no free time!

Not that I want to win the bet, I just want to use the pool this 3 day long weekend!

Update:
Fc - 19.5
Added 5L.

Wife says the colour is right, but to me it's got too much colour (ie it's too blue?!?) but still not clear enough. From an angle I don't see the main drains until closer to the pool.

Going to do another brush. Still haven't needed a vacuum or backwash (that has been obvious to me!)

This line is just so I don't need to scroll back: CYA 60, SLAMing at 24, 1 litre 10.8% chlorine = 1.4 ppm, 3rd day of SLAM, benjydog wants it ready for upcoming long weekend.

It will be safe for swimming when:
1. You can see the bottom in the deepest part (for swimmer safety)
2. pH is between 7.2 and 7.8
3. FC is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA

Just want to reassure you that we like to keep our pools available for swimming, so TFPC is based on keeping it safe.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Morning y'all

Just tested, Fc is 26 Cc is 0.5

Not sure that makes sense. Last night Fc was 19.5 so I added 5L of 10% which should have given me 26 (my best guess is pool is between 77kL and 80kL). So I didn't lose anything (ie 0) of FC overnight? I didn't retest after adding, maybe I should have.

I don't think I've ever seen the water this blue but it's still feels like it's not fully clear. I can see both main drains, but not crystal clear.

Should I add some chlorine now or wait? I have someone to add in a few hours but they may not know how to test.

You can guess the amount and have it added, based on what you've needed to do so far.

You would have to do an FC test an hour after adding chlorine to have a number you can rely on. Your pump is running 24/7 so it should mix thoroughly in an hour. You can't rely on the calculated level because pool volume is an estimate and liquid chlorine varies from the label %. Sounds like you got some good stuff :)

You can improve your filtration at this stage by adding some diatomaceous earth (DE) to your sand filter. You would do this after a backwash and rinse, and when you have some time to keep an eye on the filter, per this article:
Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Don't use garden DE; Only use pool filter DE. You can probably get it from a pool store. Might be worthwhile calling to ask.

This will help the filter remove the dead algae "carcasses" more quickly. (thinking about the weekend coming and the pool looks like it has a ways to go)

Glad you got the DE for the sand filter.

While the PB was looking after our pool, there were 4 clarifiers used. Two were chitosan type (eco/organic this/that) that did nothing. One was the PBs secret he wouldn't tell me and also did nothing. The one out of four that worked was poly-diallyldimethylammonia chloride. Some here say never, just wait, some say that they can work. I know it's not good to use more than the recommended dosage and I've heard that repeated long term use can cause it's own cloudiness.

Also just my own experience, but I get the best filtering on low speed if filter has just been backwashed. After it gets a bit dirty it will filter effectively on high speed.

More than anything, it just takes time to filter out all the dead algae cells. Vacuuming in the morning when everything has settled, and then brushing the pool to keep the dust suspended and headed to the filter is probably the best use of time.

Keep going until it's clear, then do an OCLT. You got this! Fingers crossed for the weekend.

Pool is coming along! Water is more colourless now and clearer :)

Pool math says Fc would have been 26-26.5 based on my test and chloring add last night. This morining Fc was 25.5. (I know, not a true oclt without having tested 30+ mins after last Chem add). Plans would be to do the true oclt tonight.

Not adding chems this AM but will add 2-3L around noon-1pm.

It's coming along really well based on the stairs pictures. Maintain FC and brush when you can. It looks like it came quite a ways over the last 24 hours.

If you're not finished the SLAM and want to use the pool, shock level is fine for swimming. Personally, I can smell chloramines on my skin when I get out of the pool (residual chlorine combining with sweat and skin oil) but I don't detect anything while swimming. Some people don't notice chloramines at all when the pool is at shock level. (I think they must be cleaner than me :) I use myself as the guinea pig before anyone comes over, swimming eyes open.

You can drop back to half the shock level over the weekend if it makes you feel better. That should hold it even, but it would likely make your SLAM take longer as you resume next week. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it starts to sparkle by Saturday morning.

Thanks again for all the guidance and encouragement! This is the reason I refer other pool owners to this site.

I'll probably let the FC drop over the weekend. Might have some toddlers coming over so their parents may be nervous about high chlorine levels. I believe my range is 5-9 for my cya level.

After the weekend if the water still isn't 100% clear, I bring it back to slam levels? Can keeping it that high for extended periods damage anything? The liner/pool is 10 years old but I'm hoping it lasts a while longer. Pump and filter are only 2 or 3 years old now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.