Might have to do first slam

Good catch, Marian, thanks. I had to ignore the pH being too high because the chlorine was already in.

But now, yes, this is a great chance to get the pH right for the start of the SLAM. Just consider it a reset. Print out the article and refer to it whenever needed: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Sorry to hear about the poor quality chlorine, but great that you're able to interpret your results and sense that the chlorine was probably weak, or your pool volume higher than you think. Some pool stores buy in bulk and refill the containers. Most people here prefer the higher volume big box stores and 10% liquid pool chlorine, or 8.25% bleach, with a recent manufacture date code. For me, I'm able to get pool chlorine at 12.5% from a big box hardware, which works out well for me.

+1 to Marian and to you on your algaecide decision!

I was under impression you need to tell PoolMath concentration of chlorine you going to use then it will calculate the amount based on that concentration. It can't possibly know what you got.
I was telling pool math how much I put in and adjusted the concentration until it came up with the result I got. Was using the part at the bottom of the page, I think it's called something to the effect of "effects of adding chemicals"

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Yeh sometimes it seems to clear a little and the algae down deeper gets a re-charge day for whatever reason. No worries. Soldier on.

Forget doing pH above 10 ppm FC. It reads wrong anyway, but as mentioned, once you can get the pH, then adjust down to 7.2. That's a big adjustment, so make sure your TA is correct in PoolMath. FC and occasional CC is all you need to know.

If you're on your phone, get muriatic acid, 31%. (Hardware, Paint Dept) Learn the safety stuff. Less packing around, cheaper, no fuss. Just float bottle on water, tip for a low drop pour, and estimate, based on what's left in the jug. Stay upwind. Buy some safety glasses while you're at the hardware. Dry acid adds sulphate which has no purpose in the pool.

You're going well. Imagine how many billion algae cells you already killed.

Working from home today and got the morning off, so just outside walmart now to get bleach. There's a Lowe's right across the street will get true acid as well. I imagine if I wait just a little, FC will be down to 10 as my pool will be in full sun all day today starting in 2 hours or so.

Thanks so much for the help thus far. It's a long weekend here this weekend so I'm hoping the pool is ready to go!

Americans will think they're dreaming up there in Canada to get someone to pay that much. Argghhh. Can you find any Concentrated Clorox 8.25% at Walmart, or liquid pool shock 10% at Walmart?

Pool store 10% for $1 per litre is ~$10 per kilo of sodium hypochlorite
Great Value 4.25% for $1.94 per $3.60 per litre is ~$12.70
Clorox 6% for $3.97 per $3.60 per litre is ~$18.40

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
12pm update:
PH 8
FC 12
CC (forgot to test)

I put in 1.5L of acid. I was expecting my FC to be under 10 but it wasn't (down .5ppm in almost 6 hours).

Question: how long should I wait to start putting in chlorine? I've stocked up 20L now (store closes in 5 hours). Should I wait for the FC to be down under 10 to get my PH to exactly 7.2 or should I be ok to leave it as is and get back up to shock level? I took a guess that my PH was 7.6 and pool math said 2L to get it to 7.2. So I only put in 1.5L to be safe. Got the pump running at full speed for 90 mins to circulate.

Will try to get pics of the pool up shortly.

If your CYA is 60, your SLAM target is 24 FC. You should assume your pH is ok from your previous adjustment and bring the FC to 24 and keep it there as much as possible.

Don't worry about testing pH when FC is over 10 like needsajet said.

3pm:
PH 7.4-7.5 (I hate not being able to tell shades!)
FC 10.5
CC 0
TA 140
CYA 60

Added 12L Chlorine (should be 10%), so my new FC will be close to 25 (target was 24).

I'm going crazy but I think its more transparent the water now. Less green. Lets see what the morning brings.

Nice pool! :)

You don't need to be exactly 7.2 pH, but use pool math to add what's needed to go from 7.4 to 7.2 because part of the reason is that more of the chlorine is in it's most active form at lower pH, so this can speed up the SLAM a wee bit.

You're going to need quite a bit more than 20 litres of chlorine. There's no way to know for sure. Next trip, buy another 50 litres and if there's any left over from a thorough SLAM, I'll buy you a 2-4 next time I'm in TO.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.