Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bought used, regretting everything.. Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Bought used, regretting everything.. Help!

So, I bought a used 32x16 AGP in April. Finally getting it up now. Having 2 major (I think) issues now. I have no clue the MFG because every place I took the bottom tracks to, and everywhere online said it was way outdated. This is my nightmare. We bought this instead of summer vacation, and now with my new problems, I couldn't regret it any more. I can't tell you any more about the pool because I know nothing about it.
    Ok so, the issues.
    • Not level: It is almost 4 inches off because (I'm assuming) my one corner sunk. Is this a huge problem? I have it filled almost to the skimmer bottom because I need a gasket, and with the level issue, I am concerned, I don't want a blowout of any kind because we have really big hill, and I am so nervous of kids being in it and something happening. Unfortunately, my HIGH end is where the skimmer is, so the low end will be approaching the top of the pool!
    • On the low end, 2 of my side supports have sunk a bit to where it appears that the water weight is pushing out on top. I don't THINK it could ever blow out, but like I said, IF it could, it would be really dangerous because of the size of the hill behind. That's a LOT of water! It feel REALLY sturdy... like, I can't budge it from in the water pushing out, or outside pushing in.

I know the real solution is drain and redo... but it is almost August, and I don't have the time or energy to do it again. I feel if I take it down, it is down for the year, and that would equal 5 disappointed kids...

Hope someone can offer advice, I can post a few pictures if you guys want to see. Thanks for reading, and I've learned a ton in the hour I have been reading this forum! Hope that if this pool sticks around, that I can hang out here and learn from all you experts everything I need to know!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Bought used, regretting everything.. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by chadg View Post
    So, I bought a used 32x16 AGP in April. Finally getting it up now. Having 2 major (I think) issues now. I have no clue the MFG because every place I took the bottom tracks to, and everywhere online said it was way outdated. This is my nightmare. We bought this instead of summer vacation, and now with my new problems, I couldn't regret it any more. I can't tell you any more about the pool because I know nothing about it.
    Ok so, the issues.
    • Not level: It is almost 4 inches off because (I'm assuming) my one corner sunk. Is this a huge problem? I have it filled almost to the skimmer bottom because I need a gasket, and with the level issue, I am concerned, I don't want a blowout of any kind because we have really big hill, and I am so nervous of kids being in it and something happening. Unfortunately, my HIGH end is where the skimmer is, so the low end will be approaching the top of the pool!
    • On the low end, 2 of my side supports have sunk a bit to where it appears that the water weight is pushing out on top. I don't THINK it could ever blow out, but like I said, IF it could, it would be really dangerous because of the size of the hill behind. That's a LOT of water! It feel REALLY sturdy... like, I can't budge it from in the water pushing out, or outside pushing in.

I know the real solution is drain and redo... but it is almost August, and I don't have the time or energy to do it again. I feel if I take it down, it is down for the year, and that would equal 5 disappointed kids...

Hope someone can offer advice, I can post a few pictures if you guys want to see. Thanks for reading, and I've learned a ton in the hour I have been reading this forum! Hope that if this pool sticks around, that I can hang out here and learn from all you experts everything I need to know!
    Hello and Welcome!

Sorry to hear of your regrets. From your descriptions I'm afraid that the pool does not sound safe as is, especially with children involved.

Your pool will hold almost 57 tons of water (114,248 lbs with 13700 gal at 48" deep). When kids are in there being kids, that 57 tons of water will be moving and stressing the pool structure, now that load is unbalanced and not as expected by the pool design.

If if this were my pool I would drain and fix, and not use the pool as-is.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.

4' out of level is just too much. There is little doubt that that pool will not come over sooner or later. Generally, we think 1" out is the maximum that can be safe.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you guys, for the welcome, and the advice.

Will drain tomorrow, and cut my losses. Definitely a huge lesson learned...

I'm probably more upset than the kids will be just because I failed

5. Back To Top    #5

It's only failure if you quit. It is just a little setback and a lesson learned.
    33k(ish) gallon, IG, vinyl liner, Pentair IC60 SWG, Pentair Triton II sand filter, 1.5hp Pentair VS pump (SuperFlo), Sta-Rite (Pentair) 400K BTU heater (LP), (2) Pentair LED spa lights, TF-100 test kit w/speed stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Don't quit, just level it out and fill it up again. It will be worth the extra work.
    AGP 33' x 54" Lomart Verona, Approx. 27,300 gallons, Pentair cartridge filter/pump 2-speed, 1.5 hp, Dolphin Escape robotic cleaner.