Closing soon

Welcome to TFP dm9287 :wave:

As you get more info on your pool please take the time to add it to your signature as outlined here: Pool School - Getting Started

Now would be a great time to find out if the present owner did their own maintenance/testing of the water and if they have a good kit. You need to have a good test kit and not one of the cheap ones from a big box store or Walmart. Now is the time to get one ordered. TF100 TFTestkits.net

You should also find out what they have been using as a sanitizer so you have a clue to what you're walking into. If they have been using most of the box store or pool store products you might end up having to replace a lot of water shortly after taking over because of a high CYA concentration.

BUT . . . relax it's only water and the new house is really the focus !! Congratulations.

(Taylor K-2006C vs. Taylor K-2006 vs. TF100)
I believe the pool has been maintained by pool store advice but I believe we would rather use the bbb. With that said I have seen all three of these test kits talked about. What is best and do we need any other tests I am also wanting to put some salt in the system just for water feel?

I purchased the TF100, a Speedstir and glycerin filled gauge. The K2006 is less expensive but the TF100 IMHO is a better value for the amount of chemical you get. The speedstir really helps in being able to pay attention to drops and color change without also having to wiggle the cylinder to mix. Very happy with my kit and lost my CYA tube and had a replacement back in my hands quickly so love the customer service (He's a member here).
Seemed to go through a cheap gauge every other year. The glycerin one is gong on third year with zero issues.

You can also go with Borax for feel. borax site:[url]www.troublefreepool.com - Google Search[/url]
If you go with Borax you'll need to get test strips for Borax, available from the TFTestkits web site, Amazon, pool stores, ...

I went with boxes of 20 mule team and gallons of muratic acid. It's more work but it's a lot less expensive IMHO than the borax and acid powder you can order. Going that way is much easier as you just dump it in and you're good. Depending on the pool it can be a lot of boxes and gallons :cool:

Attachments

• Borax addition.jpg
    Borax addition.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 19
Went to one of the Boric Acid suppliers and noticed that shipping is FREE. That might make a difference in which I'd choose if I were to do it again. That and I think I'm paying $2 more per gallon for muratic acid this year from two years ago when I did the big addition. That powder is looking better and better.
BTW, In that picture I used the bucket and a small pond pump to dissolve each box of borax before adding it to the pool. Not really necessary as it dissolves pretty easy when just dumped in and brushed around.

boric | Duda Diesel Alternative Energy, Chemicals & Industrial Supply Store

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support