Afraid to start up - can someone fact check the plan?

Hi all!

OK, after finally getting the ground level, we set up our 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame pool. We upgraded the filter to an Intex Model SF60110 sand filter/pump and attached and Intex EC) 8110 saltwater system.

We are currently filling the pool, and have not added any salt or anything yet. Our fingers are crossed that we set it up properly, but aren't sure if our start up plan is correct. Will someone please look it over and make sure we aren't about to make any boneheaded mistakes?

First, we are going to open the plunger valve leading from the pool inlets (there are two) to the pump/filter, attach the hose to divert the water further into the yard (the SWG will be off, plunger to outlet closed?), and backwash the fresh sand until it runs clear in the viewer window - turn it off. Then, turn to rinse for 30 seconds, then turn it off and open the plunger to the outlet in the pool, turn to 'filter', and start running the filter with the SWG turned off.

Next we were going to add 365 lbs of pool salt as the filter is running (or should we dissolve the salt before starting anything up?). Let that run until all of the salt is dissolved (how long do you think it will need? We were thinking 12 hours or so?), then add 3.7 lbs of CYA - should we do that with the filter running, or turn it off?

Lastly, we would turn on the SWG while the filter is running. We aren't sure if we should run it on boost cycle or what? If so, should we run the filter for 32 hours, which is 4 x the 'normal' 8 hour cycle it says we will be running daily?

ANY help is greatly appreciated - we are new to all this and don't want to screw it up!! Many thanks in advance

I suggest you do everything you stated above, except do not turn on the SWG until you have added enough bleach to bring the FC level up to what you want. Once the FC level is ok, then turn on the SWG. The SWG is designed to maintain the FC level, not to start at zero and bring it up. I don't recommend using the boost cycle ever. If you have to use boost then something is usually wrong. You should let the salt fully dissolve, with the pump running, for at least 12 hours, before turning on the SWG, I'd just let it run overnight.

Jim R.

Thank you Jim! Do you know how I can calculate how much bleach I need? Do we just use good ol' liquid chlorine bleach - like clorox - or should I get something else? I do have a TF-100 test kit, so do I test as soon as I add the bleach? Your help is very appreciated!

Just plain bleach , not scented or splashless, just plain bleach. For the amount, check out the tab above for Pool Math or what I like better is the free Android app called Pool Pal. I suggest you add the CYA right away as without the CYA the FC will burn off pretty quickly.

Jim R.

Can we start adding the CYA before the pool is filled? We are only half-way there, but were thinking about tossing a sock full of it into the pool while its filling, just to get things going....also been thinking of adding a bit of bleach as well. The pool holds 15,000 gallons, so we have about 7,000 in (using our well, but we live in Oregon so it is low on iron and other metals)

By the way - your a lifesaver Jim! Thank you so much

Can we start adding the CYA before the pool is filled? We are only half-way there, but were thinking about tossing a sock full of it into the pool while its filling, just to get things going....also been thinking of adding a bit of bleach as well. The pool holds 15,000 gallons, so we have about 7,000 in (using our well, but we live in Oregon so it is low on iron and other metals)

By the way - your a lifesaver Jim! Thank you so much

Sure, toss the sock right in there.. get it goin! And yeah you can add some bleach now, but don't really expect it to last too long while the cya is still low. Wait at least a day for the salt to be all dissolved before turning on the SWG.

Yip :flower: Not Jim, sorry! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.