Returning to pool ownership

Jul 9, 2016
Midland, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I had an Intex 12 x 20 soft sided pool with an SWG several years ago and used it for e seasons. I took it down and stored it away at the end of each seaon (which was a pain). We loved the pool and the SWG and got our money's worth out of it. The last season that I put it up was the year of no rainfall (2010 had zero recorded rainfall in West Texas). With water rationing and poor water quality, I couldn't keep the pool clear. So I took it down and eventually several years later threw it away.

Fast forward to this year, we decided to buy a more permanent AG pool. We purchased an 18 ft round 4 ft deep steel sided pool that I installed myself. This one will stay up year round. It has a 19" sand filter with a 1 hp pump. I am not using an SWG this time as it would void the warranty on the pool. So I started out with the trichlor pucks.

Went to Leslie's Pools to purchase all the chemicals that I needed. They sold me a bottle of CYA to put in the pool afterms I filled it up. I wish that I would have found this website before that because Leslie's didn't bother to tell me that trichlor already contains CYA and that CYA doesn't go away without a water change. Half way through the season and I am already showing higher than needed levels of CYA. We have had quite a few 100+ temperature days so I have gone through quite a few pucks to keep chlorine in the pool. Every one adding more and more CYA. Since I found TFP, I have started using more liquid bleach and less trichlor to try to slow the rise in CYA.

Anyway, we love the pool and this site has taught me a lot about the do's and don'ts of pool chemistry.