Mosquito Control ideas needed

Sep 13, 2015
Hartford/CT
Okay, so we went swimming for the first time at night and we were getting bitten galore! Thankfully most of our bodies are submerged under water.

How do you guys keep these bugs under control? Spray, plants, etc? Let me know! Would prefer a kid and pet friendly solution. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use Mosquito Squad which spray every three weeks. Works really well. Have used a Mosquito Magnet propane tank which traps them but the Mosquito Squad is working better for about the same cost as replacing the propane tanks and baits required for the M Magnet. Also use a bunch of citernella torches.

We plan to use zappers and we're going to incorporate garlic, citronella, rosemary and a few other plants that mosquitos hate into our landscaping that surrounds the pool. Then before swimming you spray the plants with some water and it releases their natural scent into the air repelling the mosquitos. Can work really well! Everything else has chemicals that trigger my asthma and that I won't expose my kids to.

Gustafson, hate to say it but I've tried everything else and in my case, being near a river, forest, etc., the only thing that reliably works is having professional service every 20 days (and not a day longer ;)

The pros spray at a rate that targets the mass of a mosquito specifically, so impact on anything larger than a mosquito is debatable. (There does not, for example, appear to be an shortage of bees, bats, or other environmental signifiers on my property, but i am only treating the pool area out of 2.5 acres.)

But fwiw, my vet friend up the river will not spray due to environmental impact. She also is completely unable to enjoy her yard at night (and will instead come here ;))

So treatment is a tradeoff.

I do the spraying myself using a hose end sprayer and use Bifen XTS. It is important that the hose end sprayer be capable of giving the correct dilution ratio. A quart will last me a couple of summers. I usually go 4 to 6 weeks between spraying. I rarely see a single mosquito.

Zappers won't do anything to control mosquitos. They are attracted to CO from your body. Zappers attract other bugs with light that the mosquitos don't look for.

Sorry, not a zapper but a trap that emits carbon dioxide to attract them. Like this Viatek Mini Mosquito Trap MK02G at The Home Depot - Mobile or DynaTrap Half-Acre Insect and Mosquito Traps - Herrington Catalog.

A friend has one and I was happy to hear it worked for them. We'll be reading some reviews and getting one or two.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
+1 for Bifen XTS ( 3 weeks between sprays and NO mosquitos )

Totally buying this stuff today. What do you guys recommend as a sprayer? I discovered Temp SC Ultra for pest control around the house indoors earlier this year and have been using a solo 2 gallon sprayer I got at Home Depot to spray that. But i don't think that's the type of sprayer you need for this product. I also have little patience for crappy sprayers. So, does anyone know of a good hose end sprayer?

i use suspend sc on all my lawn/plants and nygard igr. the nygard actually kills larvae when a mosquito goes to land in water to create more. you can help control population around your home with a good igr. bifen is the same family as others like suspendsc or talstar.

Totally buying this stuff today. What do you guys recommend as a sprayer? I discovered Temp SC Ultra for pest control around the house indoors earlier this year and have been using a solo 2 gallon sprayer I got at Home Depot to spray that. But i don't think that's the type of sprayer you need for this product. I also have little patience for crappy sprayers. So, does anyone know of a good hose end sprayer?

I've used many hose end sprayers over the years and hated them all, but now I have this one, and it is awesome. I highly recommend it. You can remove the stream deflector and it will shoot the stream up about 30 feet, which is great for getting the spray up into tree foliage.

I've used many hose end sprayers over the years and hated them all, but now I have this one, and it is awesome. I highly recommend it. You can remove the stream deflector and it will shoot the stream up about 30 feet, which is great for getting the spray up into tree foliage.
Every one I've seen for sale has got terrible reviews. The few I've tried were worse than the prepackaged bottles of WeedBGone and stuff I've bought that attach to the hose. I saw this one the other day and I swear it said it was nearly $50. $20 I can stomach.

I was just looking on doyourownpestcontrol.com, as that's where I got my Tempo SC. They have a mosquito package that gives you the Bifen and something called Pivot for around $50. For another 18.99 I can add in a Chapin 2014, which is some kind of 1 gallon tank sprayer that supposedly has a special tip for fogging. I'm not sure which I'd prefer.

Rural King also sells the Bifen stuff. I was going to go get some of that this weekend, but I may just order online.

As of tomorrow we are trying those Thermacell devices for the first time. Granddaughter having a 15th birthday pool party from 6-9pm (prime skeeter eating time!) so I bought 4 to sit around the deck and pool and lots of refills.

Keeping fingers crossed xx

Yippee :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.