Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mosquito Control ideas needed

1. Back To Top    #1

Mosquito Control ideas needed

Okay, so we went swimming for the first time at night and we were getting bitten galore! Thankfully most of our bodies are submerged under water.

How do you guys keep these bugs under control? Spray, plants, etc? Let me know! Would prefer a kid and pet friendly solution. Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mosquito Control ideas needed

We use Mosquito Squad which spray every three weeks. Works really well. Have used a Mosquito Magnet propane tank which traps them but the Mosquito Squad is working better for about the same cost as replacing the propane tanks and baits required for the M Magnet. Also use a bunch of citernella torches.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

3. Back To Top    #3

We plan to use zappers and we're going to incorporate garlic, citronella, rosemary and a few other plants that mosquitos hate into our landscaping that surrounds the pool. Then before swimming you spray the plants with some water and it releases their natural scent into the air repelling the mosquitos. Can work really well! Everything else has chemicals that trigger my asthma and that I won't expose my kids to.

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Zappers won't do anything to control mosquitos. They are attracted to CO from your body. Zappers attract other bugs with light that the mosquitos don't look for.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Gustafson, hate to say it but I've tried everything else and in my case, being near a river, forest, etc., the only thing that reliably works is having professional service every 20 days (and not a day longer

The pros spray at a rate that targets the mass of a mosquito specifically, so impact on anything larger than a mosquito is debatable. (There does not, for example, appear to be an shortage of bees, bats, or other environmental signifiers on my property, but i am only treating the pool area out of 2.5 acres.)

But fwiw, my vet friend up the river will not spray due to environmental impact. She also is completely unable to enjoy her yard at night (and will instead come here )

So treatment is a tradeoff.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

6. Back To Top    #6

We use a mosquito control company called barefoot mosquito. I was skeptical at first but the service works. Expensive though at 100 per month but it does control what was an uncontrollable problem before.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks guys! I kind of had a feeling my only option to really get rid of those buggers are to have a professional company to just spray.

8. Back To Top    #8

I do the spraying myself using a hose end sprayer and use Bifen XTS. It is important that the hose end sprayer be capable of giving the correct dilution ratio. A quart will last me a couple of summers. I usually go 4 to 6 weeks between spraying. I rarely see a single mosquito.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    Zappers won't do anything to control mosquitos. They are attracted to CO from your body. Zappers attract other bugs with light that the mosquitos don't look for.
    Sorry, not a zapper but a trap that emits carbon dioxide to attract them. Like this Viatek Mini Mosquito Trap MK02G at The Home Depot - Mobile or DynaTrap Half-Acre Insect and Mosquito Traps - Herrington Catalog.

A friend has one and I was happy to hear it worked for them. We'll be reading some reviews and getting one or two.

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by epro05 View Post
    I do the spraying myself using a hose end sprayer and use Bifen XTS. It is important that the hose end sprayer be capable of giving the correct dilution ratio. A quart will last me a couple of summers. I usually go 4 to 6 weeks between spraying. I rarely see a single mosquito.
    +1 for Bifen XTS ( 3 weeks between sprays and NO mosquitos )
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by rphpool View Post
    +1 for Bifen XTS ( 3 weeks between sprays and NO mosquitos )
    Totally buying this stuff today. What do you guys recommend as a sprayer? I discovered Temp SC Ultra for pest control around the house indoors earlier this year and have been using a solo 2 gallon sprayer I got at Home Depot to spray that. But i don't think that's the type of sprayer you need for this product. I also have little patience for crappy sprayers. So, does anyone know of a good hose end sprayer?

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

12. Back To Top    #12

Where do you spray the Bifen? Bushes, grass, fence, , trees, eaves of house? All of the above?
    20,000 gallons, In Ground, Pebble Sheen, DE Filter, Jandy 2 Speed, Attached Ground Level Spa, Polaris cleaner with dedicated pump, Ozone Generator, TF 100 w/ SpeedStir

13. Back To Top    #13

Where do you get the Bifen XTS?

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by gustafsa View Post
    Where do you get the Bifen XTS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Amazon. The original post mentioning it links to it. Here's a direct link.

Amazon.com : Bifen XTS 25.1% Bifenthrin Oil Base Multi Use Pest Control Insecticide Concentrate 32 oz quart 753985 : Insect Repellents : Patio, Lawn Garden

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl

15. Back To Top    #15

i use suspend sc on all my lawn/plants and nygard igr. the nygard actually kills larvae when a mosquito goes to land in water to create more. you can help control population around your home with a good igr. bifen is the same family as others like suspendsc or talstar.
    19K IG Pebbletec with attached spa. 60sqft Cartridge filter, Intelliflow VS, 399k BTU Gas Heater, Pentair IC40. Phoenix, AZ, full sun.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

I use DoMyOwnPestControl.com prices are slightly better than Amazon and occasionally they have sales that make it even cheaper.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by camueller View Post
    Totally buying this stuff today. What do you guys recommend as a sprayer? I discovered Temp SC Ultra for pest control around the house indoors earlier this year and have been using a solo 2 gallon sprayer I got at Home Depot to spray that. But i don't think that's the type of sprayer you need for this product. I also have little patience for crappy sprayers. So, does anyone know of a good hose end sprayer?
    I've used many hose end sprayers over the years and hated them all, but now I have this one, and it is awesome. I highly recommend it. You can remove the stream deflector and it will shoot the stream up about 30 feet, which is great for getting the spray up into tree foliage.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by epro05 View Post
    I've used many hose end sprayers over the years and hated them all, but now I have this one, and it is awesome. I highly recommend it. You can remove the stream deflector and it will shoot the stream up about 30 feet, which is great for getting the spray up into tree foliage.
    Every one I've seen for sale has got terrible reviews. The few I've tried were worse than the prepackaged bottles of WeedBGone and stuff I've bought that attach to the hose. I saw this one the other day and I swear it said it was nearly $50. $20 I can stomach.

I was just looking on doyourownpestcontrol.com, as that's where I got my Tempo SC. They have a mosquito package that gives you the Bifen and something called Pivot for around $50. For another 18.99 I can add in a Chapin 2014, which is some kind of 1 gallon tank sprayer that supposedly has a special tip for fogging. I'm not sure which I'd prefer.

Rural King also sells the Bifen stuff. I was going to go get some of that this weekend, but I may just order online.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl

19. Back To Top    #19

I just spray my BiFen XTS with a 1 gallon pump sprayer. Dose is 10cc per gallon, takes about 3 gallons to do my patio, front, and back yard.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

20. Back To Top    #20

As of tomorrow we are trying those Thermacell devices for the first time. Granddaughter having a 15th birthday pool party from 6-9pm (prime skeeter eating time!) so I bought 4 to sit around the deck and pool and lots of refills.

Keeping fingers crossed xx

Yippee
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast