Replacement motor & main drain question

May 14, 2016
Edmond
Hello. This is my first post, so please overlook any rookie mistakes I may make. The house I bought a couple of months ago has a pool, so I'm trying to learn "on-the-job" how to care for it. Your chemical instructions and discussion forums have been very helpful. The pool is a 25k gallon inground with spa. Pressure in the pump has been a major issue lately, so after replacing and lubing a few o-rings, we finally called out a service person. Long story short, our motor needs to be replaced. After starting fine, it makes a funny sound then pressure drops drastically. I'd like to buy the replacement motor online to save a few bucks, but I don't know what exactly to buy. My pool currently has a Hayward Smart Max Star Pump (SP3215ZMR) 2.2 thp, 2 speed. What is a comparable replacement motor? I found a couple of Hayward 2 hp motors on Amazon, but wanted to make sure I get the right thing. Any suggestions of what and where to buy online are appreciated.

My second question has to do with the main drain. My pool has one skimmer and one main drain. When the serviceman blew out the lines, the skimmer line was great. But the main drain didn't seem to show air or water flowing back through into the pool. It all went back through the overflow drain on the side of the pool (much like a bathtub has). When he tried to cover the overflow drain with his hands, no water or air seemed to come up from the main drain in the bottom of the pool. Would I be able to see water/bubbles clearly if the lines were clear? Interestingly, when I turn the suction valve to main drain only (not skimmer) water still seems to flow in and through the pump/strainer basket as seen through the transparent lid. What is the best/easiest way to check the MD line? Is it possible that a clog in the MD caused the motor to go out? I don't want to replace the motor just to have it happen again.

Any advice or information you have is appreciated.

Thanks.
Randy

Hayward Motor, 1-1/2hp Full Tristar 115/208-230v (SPX3215Z1BER, HSQ1152, SP3215Z1BE, SPX3215Z1MR, SP3215Z1MR - INYOPools.com. I'm not sure you have a motor problem or a pump problem. You say it starts fine then makes a funny noise, is this noise in the motor or are you pulling in alot of air and losing prime? Many 2-speed pumps will start on high speed to get prime, then drop to low for filtration cycle. What is controlling the motor speeds? As for your main drain you have said when the skimmer is off water is flowing through pump. Is the pressure the same as skimmer only or does it drop off with air in the pump?

Thanks for your reply and the info. Yes, the noise seems to be coming from the motor. It sounds like it is laboring. A little bit of air only seems to come into the strainer basket AFTER the motor makes the funny sound and the pressure drops from about 16 psi to 2. When everything is working well (which is very rare lately) there seems to be the same amount of water flowing through the pump with either skimmer only or MD only, with virtually no air.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.