Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium in a vinyl liner pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium in a vinyl liner pool

My calcium hardness is low and the pool store says I need to raise it. In the pool school article it said that calcium is not much of an issue in VL pools. Should I ignore the calcium readings?...
    In-ground, vinyl liner, approx 23000 gal, 18x36 Grecian 7.5 ft deep, 2hp pump running 24/7, t60 Pintair Tegalus filter rated for 325 lbs sand, salt system usually set to 25-30%, Dolphin Diagnostic robot that I run approx once per week, use PhosFree approx three caps full approx once per week.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium in a vinyl liner pool

The pool store is just doing what pool stores do and trying to sell you something you don't need
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

So I should ignore the calcium readings?...
    In-ground, vinyl liner, approx 23000 gal, 18x36 Grecian 7.5 ft deep, 2hp pump running 24/7, t60 Pintair Tegalus filter rated for 325 lbs sand, salt system usually set to 25-30%, Dolphin Diagnostic robot that I run approx once per week, use PhosFree approx three caps full approx once per week.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by 1211 View Post
    So I should ignore the calcium readings?...
    What does Pool School say?

Sent with Tapatalk on HTC Ten
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Our experts are trying to get you to use TFP for what it is, a teaching tool. We really want you to understand your pool and learn to take control. It's easy for,us to give the answer, and to,be honest I think you know what it is.

I will say that most of the time when someone at the pool store is making a recomendation it generally helps them more than it does you.

Now, to totally hijack your thread, you live in a beautiful area. We love camping at Hunting Island. We pick up shrimp/oysters/fish fro the Gay Fish Company and just pig out on seafood.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

7. Back To Top    #7

Respectfully, if pool school answered the question I would not have had to ask it in this forum. So, I ask again, should I ignore calcium readings since I have a vinyl pool, or is there still some calcium effect?

8. Back To Top    #8

So your pool store tested your water and says your calcium is low...how low?

Pool store testing is pretty much always off.
    You won't really know unless you test it yourself with a Taylor K2006C or TF100 test kit.

The level recommended for plaster is 250-350 if I recall.

Vinyl liners don't require calcium addition, but if you have a heater, the manual will likely
    state that it should be 200-250 ppm. (purely for warranty purposes, but thats another debate)

You're probably fine where it is though. Don't take pool store advice, all that does is cost you money.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

IF . . . IF you have soft stone or new concrete and lots of kids splashing you might want to consider having more calcium in your water along the lines of that recommended for a plaster pool. If it's really low and there is a lot of constant splash out or a fountain or jet over the stone/concrete into the pool that's keeping it wet most of the time there is a small chance of the water leaching calcium out of the stone/concrete/grout and discoloring or weakening it.
    I have a 70's vinyl with a concrete apron and have no problems with low calcium. In fact, finding out the pool store was selling me a sanitizing product with added calcium is what made me cut the cord. I didn't need it, didn't ask for it and it was more expensive than the regular sanitizer.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Mine has been 50 this season and I ignore it But if you want to spend $20-30 and feel "comfortable" I would consider increasing....
    25,000 Gal, in-ground w/ vinyl liner
    Hayward SP2303VSP (1.5 HP) / DE filter (4820)
    Aqua Rite SWG / T-CELL-9 (v1.5)
    Polaris 380, PB4-60 Booster Pump (post-2012) / Aqua Heat Pump (S95)
    TF-100 Test Kit with Speedstir

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by 1211 View Post
    Respectfully, if pool school answered the question I would not have had to ask it in this forum. So, I ask again, should I ignore calcium readings since I have a vinyl pool, or is there still some calcium effect?
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    30000 gal inground vinyl liner;sand filter w/glass media, nuvo uv, TF-100 test kit; 25 years on Baquacil, converted to TFP chlorine in 2016

12. Back To Top    #12

Very helpful. Thanks, all...

13. Back To Top    #13

yes, you can ignore the pool store advice - as long as you do not have any plaster or grout or mortar that is in constant contact with the pool water - low calcium in a vinyl liner is not an issue - in fact I try to keep my CSI (calcium saturation index - calculated by Pool Math) slightly negative which means that the water has a slight tendency to dissolve calcium - that way, I am confident I will not have any scaling anywhere in the entire system - if you play with the temperature in Pool Math, you will see that as temperature increases, the CSI also increases, and the water has more of a tendency to deposit calcium (scale) - so in my mind, that means the water always has a bit more tendency to deposit calcium in the heater - so to help ensure that does not happen, I figure keep the CH low and keep CSI low - then scaling is never an issue

Kiss4aFrog's comments about the concrete apron are reasonable, but I think the chances of that being an issue are slim

the only time calcium matters is if you have a plaster pool, an area that is tiled or other feature that includes mortar - in those cases you do not want your CH low and you CSI negative, or the pool water will slowly eat away at the plaster/grout/mortar - I think I recall a thread on here before about someone with a water feature (waterfall maybe?) that was made of rocks with mortar between them, and the mortar was being damaged by a lo CSI even though he had a vinyl liner - so if you have any of those things, then listen to them - otherwise, don't worry
    30,000 gal IG 20x40 8ft deep end vinyl liner in NE Ohio DOB Sept 2012
    Hayward 4820 DE filter, Hayward SP2610x15 1.5HP single speed pump
    Hayward H400FDN natural gas heater, Frog min'l/Cl2 system (not in use)
    autocover, Dolphin DX4 cleaner, well water, TF100 test kit