No chlorine 12 bags of shock later

Jul 24, 2016
Tewskbury MA
We have a 23,000 gallon gunite pool. It is 12 years old. We live near Boston. The last three years we have been fighting a losing battle with the chlorine level. We only get a reading the day after weekly shocking. The last two years we started getting pink staining on the walls. We found out it was copper staining from the water. We treated that and still no chlorine.

Yesterday we had the water tested and they told us our nitrates are high. Sent us home with a box of shock, which we put in last night and today I tested and the chlorine is non-existent.

Any ideas what we should do to get the chlorine level to come up? Thanks.

Yesterday's numbers were:

Free chlorine 1 but when I test I get nothing.
Total Available Chlorine 1
CH 220
CYA 60 (this was originally 90)
TA 110
pH 7.6
Copper .3
Iron 0
Total Dissolved Solids 1000
Phosphates 0

How are you testing your water? The pros will be along soon I'm sure but while you're waiting take a look at the pool school link. You'll need to decide whether or not you want to take care of the pool yourself or rely on the pool store. If you try to use both you will drive yourself crazy!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.