Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to smooth areas underwater?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to smooth areas underwater?

We have a table in our pool. The underneath is so rough and I asked the plaster company if they could smooth it. They told me they didn't have the right tools and PB would have to have someone come out. But then they filled it with water and that area is about 3 inches under the water line. Any thoughts on what would work to smooth that out? It's uneven and rough enough to scrape legs.

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to smooth areas underwater?

Depending on how rough it is you could try one of these.

Shop GOLDBLATT Coarse Rubbing Bricks at Lowes.com

You might be at it a while, but it will work.

3. Back To Top    #3

My pool was just completed a week ago. We have 4 bar stools and a ledge that over hangs. I asked the PB the same question. He called the pebble tec installers and he told me they don't put it under tables or ledges. For me it's not a problem because your legs aren't that high. I just wanted to make sure they didn't miss a spot.

I would like to know what you find out and do to resolve it.

My spray deck hasn't been installed yet, next week and we will be done!

Last edited by Diggletree; 07-24-2016 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Add picture
    14K IG, Pebble sheen, 2hp, Pentair quad DE 100, 1/2hp booster with pentair racer. Test kit K-2006C. New pool filled 7/15/16

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Diggletree View Post
    My pool was just completed a week ago. We have 4 bar stools and a ledge that over hangs. I asked the PB the same question. He called the pebble tec installers and he told me they don't put it under tables or ledges. For me it's not a problem because your legs aren't that high. I just wanted to make sure they didn't miss a spot.

I would like to know what you find out and do to resolve it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    They put plain plaster underneath at my request (no pebbles) and because the tiles stuck out further past the edge of the cement on the bottom edge it created a hole inside with a thin sharp edge on the tile. But that tile edge is still sharp so it isn't the underside that concerns me so much as the bottom edge going around. Getting up, sitting down, and kids playing are all potential scrape scenarios.

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

5. Back To Top    #5

They sell 3m diamond pads of differnt grit which are like six inch circles that the Pebble tech guys had used but I don't know the part numbers. Probably can get them at Home Depot. These are them..Flexible Diamond Products
    Save time and money while getting consistent,
    beautiful results again and again.
    Your search for
    diamonds is over. Youʼve discovered 3M

Flexible
    Diamond Products—possibly the world
    ʼ
    s fastest
    polishing and grinding products that let your
    pool finishing business shine. Our
    3M

Flexible
    Diamond Product’s
    cutting-edge technology
    saves you time and money, delivering consistent,
    gorgeous finishes with less frequent replacements
    than your current sanding disks and sheets. These
    product gems are extremely durable when used
    wet and are exceptional on hard-to-grind surfaces
    like quartz, ceramic, glass and pebble.
    For fast, easy, uncompromising finishes,
    use 3M

Flexible Diamond Products.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Our PB had an abrasive pad attachment on a weedeater they used to smooth the sun shelf but of course that was a a job in only 20" of water not under a table top. If the builder is not going to drain and take care of it and you are somewhat of a DIY-er here is my idea.

DISCLAIMER: I have not tried this it's an unproven idea...

I would be tempted to buy an air powered polisher or sander from Harbor freight and sand it with the water at it's current level basically it would wet sand it. If you try this submerged the sander in a bucket of warm soapy water and run it a few times to be sure there is no oil in the sander that is going to get into the pool. This will also be a test to see if it is going to work at all under water. There is a high probability you will ruin the sander in the process of sanding the table unless you thoroughly dry and oil it after use but they only run $30 to $50 so not a huge loss if it fixes the problem.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by atttech-2 View Post
    Our PB had an abrasive pad attachment on a weedeater they used to smooth the sun shelf but of course that was a a job in only 20" of water not under a table top. If the builder is not going to drain and take care of it and you are somewhat of a DIY-er here is my idea.

DISCLAIMER: I have not tried this it's an unproven idea...

I would be tempted to buy an air powered polisher or sander from Harbor freight and sand it with the water at it's current level basically it would wet sand it. If you try this submerged the sander in a bucket of warm soapy water and run it a few times to be sure there is no oil in the sander that is going to get into the pool. This will also be a test to see if it is going to work at all under water. There is a high probability you will ruin the sander in the process of sanding the table unless you thoroughly dry and oil it after use but they only run $30 to $50 so not a huge loss if it fixes the problem.
    Is it safe to submerge a plugged in appliance like a sander underwater if it's not meant for underwater usage?

8. Back To Top    #8

No you will get electrocuted. The 3M pads I mentioned can be used by hand.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

9. Back To Top    #9

He said an air powered sander. Meaning powered by air from a compressor. Sounds like a decent idea to smooth the rough edges.

14K IG, Pebble sheen, 2hp, Pentair quad DE 100, 1/2hp booster with pentair racer. Test kit K-2006C. New pool filled 7/15/16

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

I've used several pneumatic tools underwater. It will likely ruin the tool but should work just fine. I used a nailgun for nearly a week before it gave me issues.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

11. Back To Top    #11

Okay, that's where I got confused. I didn't know things could be powered by air but we do have a compressor. I'll show this to my husband (and he can laugh at my dumb question ).

12. Back To Top    #12

I talked to my PB's son who is doing our start-up about the table and he agreed it's really rough. He's going to get some diamond grit and see what he can do to make it better.