Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Buy trichlor tips

1. Back To Top    #1

Buy trichlor tips

I am in Dallas, it's 100+ outside and I have to refill water every week in my 14400 gallon pool. Normally I drop 3 Trichlor tablets in the dispenser to maintain chlorine level which dissolves in a week or so at this temperature. Also uses bleach to raise the FC as necessary. I am running out of Trichlor. Just wondering should I get another 25lbs bucket or is there a different way to maintain CYA/Chlorine level during summer heat. Since the water gets refilled weekly, I don't have issue with high CYA level so far. I guess it's too low, need to test it as I am out of R0013C as well. R0013E is on it's way.

So what's the best way to maintain Cl2 and CYA? Where can I get best price for Trichlor?

Thanks in Advance!

PoolSupplyWorld PSW-CSC140 3in. Chlorine Tablets 25 lb Bucket (Tri-Chlor)

Pool Chlorine Tablets - 3 Inch Chlorine Tablets for Swimming Pools

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Buy trichlor tips

Since the water gets refilled weekly, I don't have issue with high CYA level so far.
    It doesn't work like that. Everything we do begins and ends with current test results. Can you post yours, please?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Why are you refilling water? Remember, evaporation increases the concentration of CYA. So putting that water back in does not help the overall problem of CYA increase. You need to get a good test kit, either a TF-100 or a K-2006C. Read Pool School, and stop using tabs.
    Once you have the kit, take a full set of readings and post them like duraleigh requested.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by nityntiy View Post

So what's the best way to maintain Cl2 and CYA? Where can I get best price for Trichlor?

Thanks in Advance!
    TEst kit and bleach from Walmart/add stabilizer as estimated in pool math. Sell what you have left on ebay or huck it in the trash
    Inherited 24' Muskin Above ground
    13500 gal
    Hayward S180T92S Sand filter
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir
    TFPC for Beginners | Pool Math | Pool School | CYA Chart | SLAM | Test Kits | ABC's

5. Back To Top    #5

As others have pointed out, unless you are loosing water due to a leak CYA stays behind when water evaporates. It is this fact that gets more people in trouble with CYA.

When do you think you will have your replacement reagents for your K2006?

You had a bad algae issue a couple of months ago, but stopped posting in the middle if the SLAM. Have you cleared up all those issues?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the responses guys. Got little busy that didn't get time to follow up with the post.
    My test results from 5 minutes ago

FC - 1ppm
    PH - 7.6ppm
    TA - 70 ppm
    CYA - 70 ppm

Man. You guys were right. I was under the assumption refilling/rain consumes the CYA that I kept adding 3 tabs weekly. The tremendous heat drops the water level below the skimmer line that I had to refill water every week(about 1-2 inch)

I ordered another 50 lbs Trichlor online over the weekend and they just shipped it. I guess I need to reduce the tab usage moving forward. Just stick with bleach for now since I have high CYA level already?

@tim5055 - Thanks for inquiring. Yes the Algae problem was solved by SLAM. Just kept adding bleach and cleaned up the pool until the water cleared up.

Thanks again.

7. Back To Top    #7

Bring your FC up with bleach and use the tabs you will get when your CYA drops back down.
    True L 45,000 gal Hayward IG vinyl pool. Hayward Tristar 2.40 THP; 1.5 FRHP/1.60 SF. Hayward Model # S310T2 Sand Filter. Aqua Rite T-15. Aqua Comfort 154,000 BTU Heat Pump. TF-100