Winter cover and closing for liner over steps

rmclain73

Silver Supporter
May 18, 2013
Needham, MA
Now that the pavers are installed around our new pool, they will be coming out to measure to order our winter cover. Our pool has liner over the steps. Here in New England, most people drain pool to just below the returns and blow out all lines. My question is with liner over steps is it safe to lower the water that much? Can the liner become damaged over time with no water over it? The winter cover came as part of the pool price. However, most pools installed by my PB use the fiberglass stairs. Usually they supply a mesh winter cover and drain water. Would that be ok in this case, or do I need to plug returns and skimmer, blow out lines, and use a sold cover? PB will supply solid cover if I ask for it.

loop loc pool covers state to lower your water no further than 16" below pool deck surface. You can go to there site and check that dist. But I think it is 16". When your water freezes it helps to support snow load. The springs that are on the straps can only stretch so much, thus the 16" I lower my water just below the returns, blow out the lines and then before freeze up the water rises a bit due to rain. I monitor it and keep it about 1 or 2 inches below the bottom of the skimmers. My steps sound like yours, there plastic and the cover goes over it. There probably the most durable part of the pool. The steps are the least of my concern.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.