Jul 10, 2016
Cleveland Texas
Cya 80
FC .5
CC .5
PH 7.2
TA 40
CH 25

New pool. water is clear but a little hazy no slime. Now what. I've been using liquid bleach but "Leslie's" told me not to use it. Said my water was real soft but said I didn't need to treat CH.
They sold me the 3" tablets and floater. And chlor brite (di-chlor ). They also had me do phosphate treatment and stabilizer.
What do I need to do now? I entered readings into pool calculater. Pool was filled with well water.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Now that you have your TF-100, stop going to the pool store. They'll confuse you and sell you worthless products like the phosphate remover. You have a high CYA. Your FC needs to be at least 8-9, and never below 6. Increase it right away with ... yes.... regular bleach. Take out any tabs in use and/or remove stabilizer they sold you before being used because that's raising your CYA even higher to where you may have to drain water soon. Just use HEB's regular Bravo or Walmart's Great value bleach. Leave everything else alone right now except FC. Tonight, make sure FC is about 9 or so and do an overnight (OCLT) test to ensure you have no algae cloudiness trying to form. Let us know how it goes. Nice to have you with us.

Wanted to add I put in about 30 oz of 12% bleach last night. Test kit Measurements were from this morning before sun hit pool. I do need to add some water to pool. Not much tho. Several kids in pool last 2 days. Didn't know if this info may change anything. THANKS so much

Something that I did just realize ... your pool is quite small - about 3K correct? In that case, you might benefit from the TFP Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools page. In some cases, it's just as easy to simply drain and replace the water if it appears to get cloudy or develop algae. Testing is much simpler as well. Still, your FC was quite low, and with such a high CYA you will need more FC to compensate. You can see that relationship on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below). Once you've had a chance to review those two pages, let us know if you still have a question. Have a nice day.

Ok I read the info. Since I added 30 oz bleach last night and it's only registering FC OF .5, should Add the pool calculator suggested amount of bleach of 18 oz again and add some more water to pool (because it's kinda low) ? Adding water should lower the cya correct ? And removing the floater w tabs as well which was obviously raising cya. I run my pump 24/7 btw

Ok I added 18 oz liquid chlorine. Checked hour later with the yellow drop test and it's still low. I also believe that I didn't have accurate cya. I could make out the black dot in tube if I focused. And a printout I had from Leslie's said cya was 55 4 days ago and I had not added water but I did have floater w tablet during that time. Should I do the cya test w my kit again? The chlorine isn't holding. Water looks clear. Should I do the slam method? Or is slam only if I have algae

OK - Assuming Leslie's test of CYA at 55 is correct, your FC needs to be at 6ppm. You have removed tablets, correct? Added water (to at least half way up skimmer?) Go ahead do a new set of tests and post. When you do CYA test, you should round up to next number, i.e. if it reads 45, your CYA is considered 50. Do the cya test, determine your number, pour the liquid back into squeeze bottle and redo test at least once more if not several times and see if you continue to get same numbers. Then double check CYA/Chlorine chart for chlorine level, recalculate at pool math and add chlorine. You may need to do an OFCL test to see if you hold numbers.

Retest
cya 50 (did 3 times)
fc 0
ph 7.2
cc 0
ch 25
ta 40
Cya chart says FC target of 6
pool math says add 19 oz 12% bleach. (Which I did last night also and was .5 this morning but the 3 day old filter cartridge was dirty so I cleaned it )
will add bleach test 30 mins after and check in morning before sun hits pool.
Water is crystal clear at the moment. No slimey feeling 90 degree water at 630.

With a pool 3K in size, you have the option to do a SLAM or just drain, wash the pool, and refill as noted on the seasonal pool guide. It's up to you really. If you chose to SLAM, the link is below in my sig. Just follow those directions and you'll be fine. Your pH is already adjusted for the SLAM, so now it would be a matter of maintaining an FC of "20" until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria. Whichever direction you chose to go we'll be happy to advise you. Let us know if you have any questions about either process. Have a nice day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First let me say Thank you for all your help.
I do not want to drain pool since I'm on well water. And it's clear so I think I'm close to getting it!
I have read the slam info. Clarify for me please.
My water is already clear so am I just trying to keep pool at a consistent FC of 20?
and do I test morning and evening then add more chlorine doing the ofcl test each day till I have no more than 1 ppm loss and cc of .5?
after the results from this morning Am I going to check my cya once more to figure my shock level then add the appropriate amount , run pump continuously , check FC in an hour, add more bleach if needed to get back to shock level , check this evening, add bleach if needed, do ofcl test? And if still losing FC I start all over again ?
Is that correct?
Hope I'm not confusing you. I've read so much about this my eyes are crossing.

Since you lost so much FC overnight, it tells us you have excessive organics in the water even if it's not green right now. By maintaining the FC at "20" (based on your CYA), your will have the correct ratio of FC and CYA to perform the SLAM. You'll focus primarily on FC testing, trying to keep it steady at 20 as much as possible. No need to test anything else right now. Once increased, you might check an hour later to see how well it held and adjust from there. Eventually the testing and bleach additions will spread-out as the FC holds better and overtakes the organics in the water. Once you see that your FC is holding well, then you can try another OCLT to make sure you don't lose more than 1 ppm of FC overnight. Make sense?

I think so. I was just checking the cya again before you answered. Now it's showing high cya but it's overcast here so not sure that makes a difference. I did not have the floater nor did I add any stabilizer. Could it just be the lighting causing the high reading ? Says cya 70. My head is spinning now.

Yes, cloudy weather will cause the dot to disappear quicker. You tested 3Xs before and got 50 each time, so let's stay with that CYA of 50 which equates to a SLAM FC level of "20". :) Remember to increase FC just use plan/regular bleach. Nothing that says splashless or scents.

Yes, lighting matters completely on that test. You need full sun with your back to the sun. Hold the test tube with two fingers at waist level so you can look down into the tube. Then pour into the tube until the dot disappears. Sometimes it easier to fill to a mark, hold the tube at waist level and just glance into it. If you notice the black dot, fill to the next line and repeat until you don't see the dot when you glance into the tube.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.