Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mr. Clean Magic Erasers?

1. Back To Top    #1

Mr. Clean Magic Erasers?

i have been noticing that the top of my vinyl where the top rail is has gotten kinda dark and sticky. i have tried to use the pool water and a brush to clean it but to no avail. i tried a magic eraser on it this morning and it worked. i just have to make sure that none of the "shavings" from the eraser get in the pool. was curious if anyone has used this method or if someone might have a better cleaning method?
    Charles
    Coleman 16'x48"
    Intex 2100 GPH pump & Sand filter, Intex Robot Vacuum
    Hayward Wide Mouth Skimmer
    TF-100 Test Kit Magnetic Speed Stirer

2. Back To Top    #2

Mr. Clean Magic Erasers?

I use the ME to clean my skimmer. Don't worry about the sponge bits, completely non-reactive and the skimmer/filter will catch them.

Careful on vinyl though. The ME has a micro-textured surface roughness, it will act like sandpaper. Scrubbing too hard can scuff the vinyl surface and damage the underlying patten.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Mr. Clean Magic Erasers?

Nope.....those are hard to beat.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I use one part bleach and two parts water and scrub and rinse with water

8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by chayne View Post
    i have been noticing that the top of my vinyl where the top rail is has gotten kinda dark and sticky. i have tried to use the pool water and a brush to clean it but to no avail. i tried a magic eraser on it this morning and it worked. i just have to make sure that none of the "shavings" from the eraser get in the pool. was curious if anyone has used this method or if someone might have a better cleaning method?
    Magic erasers are what I use on my Intex pool too! They are amazing!

I also used them on my white fiberglass pool at my last house. They were fantastic on that as well.
    Karan - 18 ft round x 48" high - Intex ultra-frame AGP, Intex 3/4 hp pump with 14" sand filter (SF70110), Hayward 900 Wanda the Whale cleaner, Intex LED water fountain.
    18ft Round Intex Ultra Frame in The Mitten

6. Back To Top    #6

I use them on my water line tile and they work great. If you ever get any crayon marks from kids on your drywall inside give them a try
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

7. Back To Top    #7

I know when I was cleaning to top rail vinyl on my pool it was the only thing I have found that is actually cleaning it up. I tried a microfiber with simple green sprayed on it and literally it did nothing but smear. I got my ME out and it broke it down. Still got more to go but it is cleaning it up. They just don't last very long. May have to break down and get the heavy duty ones

Charles
    Coleman 16'x48"
    Intex 2100 GPH pump & Sand filter, Intex Robot Vacuum
    Hayward Wide Mouth Skimmer
    TF-100 Test Kit Magnetic Speed Stirer

8. Back To Top    #8

I love them! I use them mostly to clean the top rails.
    Cornelius 15 Round , Semi Inground, TF-100 Test Kit, Speedstir
    Hayward 2 Speed Pump Swimpro 150 Cartridge Filter
    Pool Rover S2-50, Maytronics Solara Heating System

9. Back To Top    #9

I used to use these all the time for my vinyl liner. However, this year I noticed there is significant wear on the water line from using these and probably scrubbing too hard. Nothing I have found cleans as well, however I'm afraid I will completely ruin my liner if I continue using them.
    12,000 gallon, in-ground, vinyl liner pool, TF-100 - City water
    Hayward Super II 1-Horsepower Pool Pump and Hayward Pro-Series S244T 24-Inch Top-Mount Sand Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

After having pretty bad black staining into my liner at the water line for 2 years I finally found the magic erasers! It was truly a miracle and I used every thing I could think of to get the staining out. Plus it took a very minimal amount of scrubbing. Two seasons later I do not have any scum/black marks on the water line. Go for it!
    18 ft above ground round
    Hayward DE filter/ 1.5 hp pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Mine is like that, too. Thanks for posting! Now I know the solution.
    ProSeries 14x42 3300 gal ABP, installed 7/2015, "upgraded" to Intex 1500 GPH pump, Intex Krystal Klear SWG
    Live just outside Houston, pool is at our future retirement home in Port Alto, TX (mid-Texas coast)