I got back from vacation last night to find out my pump bit the dust while I was away. Any advice on new pumps warmly welcomed in this thread here (#ShamelessPlug)
We'd been on the road for about 27 hours by the time we got home yesterday so all I did on realizing the pump was dead was; swear profusely (out of earshot of the kids), top off the water level, dump in two jugs of bleach (242 oz, 8.25%) and go to bed.
Come the morning and it's time to survey the damage. I guesstimate the pump's been dead for about 5-7 days. Being a SWCG pool that's why I threw in the the bleach last night - I figured I may be in for a SLAM so wanted to see if ANY chlorine levels would hold over night. I know i didn't test anything before putting it in but I was tired!
The pool water looks clear, aside from the dust/debris in and on the pool. Numbers as follows from today (7/24) 9am CDT:
My amateur analysis on this is:
- I need to add acid to bring my pH down.
- I'm choosing to believe I caught some luck on FC and my FC level never quite got to zero. The bleach from last night brought it up to 6 and it's staying there. (242 oz of bleach typically raises my FC level by 6)
- Everything else is OK
My pool equipment is "covered" by my home warranty so here's what's going to happen:
- Tomorrow the Home Warranty company will assign a contractor to look at the issue. (My experience here has not been great but hope springs eternal!)
- Contracting company will have until close of business Tuesday to call me to make an appointment. I expect they will say "It's a busy time of year mate, we can't get to you until Friday".
- They will come out on Friday for 2 mins and say "Your pump's broken. It needs replacing. We'll have to talk to the warranty company about that".
- There will then be a protracted discussion with the warranty company about not wanting to bay for a pump at all. Then they will want to replace it with a rebuild, not new, pump. In the end they will agree to give me a few hundred bucks to put towards the pump of my choice. This will take another few days.
- The pump will have to be ordered and then fitted
Long story short (too late?) I am betting that I am going to have to get this pool to limp along without a pump for at least another week and maybe two.
Advice needed please:
- Any further comments analysis on the numbers?
- Given that the pool is not going to run what's the process for adding acid & bleach? Can I just dump it in and give it a good old stir by, I don't know, sweeping the pool??
- Is there anything else I should or could be doing while the pump is down?
Thanks in advance folks.