Age Verification to buy Bleach?

BoDarville

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2012
DFW, Texas
I just returned from an extensive travel period topped off with a scuba diving vacation in Cozumel. Upon returning home, I ran several errands that included purchasing bleach at a warehouse club to restock my nearly-depleted inventory. The bleach comes in a 3-bottle carton and I bought my usual 3 cartons as I typically do at this time of year since chlorine consumption is at its seasonal peak. While checking out, the cashier made some comment about initially hitting the wrong key when he was prompted to verify my age since my order included bleach. While I have no problem passing for 18+, I was wondering if this is something new or if this cashier was having a moment. Has anyone else experienced this?

[emoji3]

Starting day 5/25/2015 INTEX AGP 24'x12'x54" 8,400 gal, with salt and borax, INTEX 3,000 GPH pump with 16"sand filter, WM Hayward Skimmer, Intex SWG CG-28669, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test

I just asked my teenage juvenile delinquent about using bleach for illicit purposes and he denied it! :shock:

I buy mine at the grocery store 4 jugs at a time and haven't noticed it. But, they all know me and almost everyone can tell I am over 18 :mrgreen:

As a parent of two teens at the moment I will accept any help offered to try to stop them from doing (more) stupid things. :-D

I've never been in retail and would probably get my butt kicked daily if I was; I wonder if any item when purchased in unusually large quantities triggers something. The one time I helped a friend start a SLAM I was not met with a strange look from the cashier but rather a one word question: "Algae?".

I had one of those age check things come up a couple of weeks ago when I bought something at a dollar store, I don't remember what now, but do recall it seemed strange they would do an age check on it. It may have been bleach, but I think it was something like a battery for my car key fob.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh lordie, don't let me ever be a cashier in a grocery store. I'd be like "you gonna buy ANYthing nutritious today" or some other judgemental remark..

Sometimes I think stores ask annoying questions at the checkout for marketing research- zip code, age, etc.

We have an extensive procedure here in IL when we buy MA. Not just age, but they scan your driver's license, you have to provide your address, and sign an official document acknowledging the risks of use. No such issues with bleach, however.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Based on the responses, it seems like (and I hope) my experience was an isolated one of a cashier having a moment. We will soon find out as I usually buy bleach (2-3 cartons) on a weekly basis at this time of year.

MarianParoo said:
We have an extensive procedure here in IL when we buy MA. Not just age, but they scan your driver's license, you have to provide your address, and sign an official document acknowledging the risks of use. No such issues with bleach, however.
I hope this does not become a more widespread practice for either product (bleach or MA). The easy availability of these two products are crucial for practicing the TFP method. The "bad guys" will always find another source for whatever their habit is or move on to a new vice, and these "verification" procedures inconvenience the overwhelming majority of us who use these and other products for their intended purpose.

Maybe its a Dallas thing, or that particular store's thing. Wally world self check out tripped an age verification when I bought a 3 pack of sharpies the other day. I remember thinking what could a kid possibly do with 3 sharpies to trigger that?

It must be a local or store requirement Marian, I live downstate and don't have to provide anything when buying MA. I typically buy mine at Rural King.

A quick update on this...I have made two separate purchases of liquid bleach since I started this thread a few weeks ago. The subsequent purchases were from the same warehouse club - one at the same location and the other at a different location. No age verification at either store (thankfully!).

The gas station (discount tobacco store) down at the corner has started an even more annoying practice, cashiers must key in the birth date of anyone buying tobacco or alcohol on a per line item basis. I walked down to the corner to buy a couple of gallons of gas for the lawnmower the other day (did not want the gas fumes in my car and someone was borrowing my truck, plus I could probably use the exercise). The woman ahead of me in line was buying both tobacco and alcohol, and had to recite her birthday 11-20-78 Four times to the cashier.

The gas station (discount tobacco store) down at the corner has started an even more annoying practice, cashiers must key in the birth date of anyone buying tobacco or alcohol on a per line item basis. I walked down to the corner to buy a couple of gallons of gas for the lawnmower the other day (did not want the gas fumes in my car and someone was borrowing my truck, plus I could probably use the exercise). The woman ahead of me in line was buying both tobacco and alcohol, and had to recite her birthday 11-20-78 Four times to the cashier.

I guess either the cashier's memory is worse than mine or he expected the answer to change....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.