Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age Verification to buy Bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

Age Verification to buy Bleach?

I just returned from an extensive travel period topped off with a scuba diving vacation in Cozumel. Upon returning home, I ran several errands that included purchasing bleach at a warehouse club to restock my nearly-depleted inventory. The bleach comes in a 3-bottle carton and I bought my usual 3 cartons as I typically do at this time of year since chlorine consumption is at its seasonal peak. While checking out, the cashier made some comment about initially hitting the wrong key when he was prompted to verify my age since my order included bleach. While I have no problem passing for 18+, I was wondering if this is something new or if this cashier was having a moment. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Age Verification to buy Bleach?

Never experienced this.

mkaklis
    27' x 52" AG vinyl, 16,000 gal, Pleatco PAP100 Cartridge Filter, 1.5 HP pump, TK100

3. Back To Top    #3

Remember - Drink Responsibly!!
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Starting day 5/25/2015 INTEX AGP 24'x12'x54" 8,400 gal, with salt and borax, INTEX 3,000 GPH pump with 16"sand filter, WM Hayward Skimmer, Intex SWG CG-28669, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

5. Back To Top    #5

I know they have started tracking certain chemicals used in the manufacture of illegal drugs but have not heard about an age limit on buying bleach! That's a new one!
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

6. Back To Top    #6

I just asked my teenage juvenile delinquent about using bleach for illicit purposes and he denied it!

I buy mine at the grocery store 4 jugs at a time and haven't noticed it. But, they all know me and almost everyone can tell I am over 18

As a parent of two teens at the moment I will accept any help offered to try to stop them from doing (more) stupid things.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I've never been in retail and would probably get my butt kicked daily if I was; I wonder if any item when purchased in unusually large quantities triggers something. The one time I helped a friend start a SLAM I was not met with a strange look from the cashier but rather a one word question: "Algae?".
    13,000 gal.Peanut shaped IG Plaster (med. gray) w/ 7' raised spa. ALL Pentair: Intelliflow 3hp VS, Cartridge filter, 400,000 btu heater, 2.0hp spa motor, Easy Touch control panel & is4 spa side switch, Intellichlor 40C SWG, Paramount PV3 In Floor cleaning system, spa spillway and two sheer descents. Solar: 10 FAFCO panels 1.5hp booster. Testt kits: K-2006 & K1766 (Chloride/Salt) Fill date August 15, 2114.

8. Back To Top    #8

I've bought a dozen bottles at a time and gone through the self checkout at walmart with nary a blip. I would think this was a cashier moment.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Well, currently working I retai....

There is generally very little the cashier can do to cause issues to arise. You scan the UPC and what happens, happens.....
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

I had one of those age check things come up a couple of weeks ago when I bought something at a dollar store, I don't remember what now, but do recall it seemed strange they would do an age check on it. It may have been bleach, but I think it was something like a battery for my car key fob.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

11. Back To Top    #11

Oh lordie, don't let me ever be a cashier in a grocery store. I'd be like "you gonna buy ANYthing nutritious today" or some other judgemental remark..

Sometimes I think stores ask annoying questions at the checkout for marketing research- zip code, age, etc.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

12. Back To Top    #12

We have an extensive procedure here in IL when we buy MA. Not just age, but they scan your driver's license, you have to provide your address, and sign an official document acknowledging the risks of use. No such issues with bleach, however.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks everyone for the replies. Based on the responses, it seems like (and I hope) my experience was an isolated one of a cashier having a moment. We will soon find out as I usually buy bleach (2-3 cartons) on a weekly basis at this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo
    We have an extensive procedure here in IL when we buy MA. Not just age, but they scan your driver's license, you have to provide your address, and sign an official document acknowledging the risks of use. No such issues with bleach, however.
    I hope this does not become a more widespread practice for either product (bleach or MA). The easy availability of these two products are crucial for practicing the TFP method. The "bad guys" will always find another source for whatever their habit is or move on to a new vice, and these "verification" procedures inconvenience the overwhelming majority of us who use these and other products for their intended purpose.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT

14. Back To Top    #14

Maybe its a Dallas thing, or that particular store's thing. Wally world self check out tripped an age verification when I bought a 3 pack of sharpies the other day. I remember thinking what could a kid possibly do with 3 sharpies to trigger that?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    It must be a local or store requirement Marian, I live downstate and don't have to provide anything when buying MA. I typically buy mine at Rural King.
    18x36 IG Vinyl, ~25K, TF-100, Jandy 1HP 2 Speed Pump, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG,
    Hayward DE 3600 Filter, Pentair MasterTemp 200 NG Heater, DIY Install in 1990

16. Back To Top    #16

I think the MA thing has to do with the acid attacks that were happening in IL a few years ago, perhaps a law on buying it.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

17. Back To Top    #17

Yup. Issac is correct. I have not bought MA this year so maybe they have stopped the procedure. I believe it was only for the 31.45%.

18. Back To Top    #18

A quick update on this...I have made two separate purchases of liquid bleach since I started this thread a few weeks ago. The subsequent purchases were from the same warehouse club - one at the same location and the other at a different location. No age verification at either store (thankfully!).

19. Back To Top    #19

The gas station (discount tobacco store) down at the corner has started an even more annoying practice, cashiers must key in the birth date of anyone buying tobacco or alcohol on a per line item basis. I walked down to the corner to buy a couple of gallons of gas for the lawnmower the other day (did not want the gas fumes in my car and someone was borrowing my truck, plus I could probably use the exercise). The woman ahead of me in line was buying both tobacco and alcohol, and had to recite her birthday 11-20-78 Four times to the cashier.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    The gas station (discount tobacco store) down at the corner has started an even more annoying practice, cashiers must key in the birth date of anyone buying tobacco or alcohol on a per line item basis. I walked down to the corner to buy a couple of gallons of gas for the lawnmower the other day (did not want the gas fumes in my car and someone was borrowing my truck, plus I could probably use the exercise). The woman ahead of me in line was buying both tobacco and alcohol, and had to recite her birthday 11-20-78 Four times to the cashier.
    I guess either the cashier's memory is worse than mine or he expected the answer to change....
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast