Concord, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Pool was finished 9-1-15 and we have been trouble-free until the past couple days. Might still be ok, but I'm wondering...

Most important - here are my numbers - just tested about 10 minutes ago: (I do have the proper test kit - I know sig says 2005 kit but I ordered the extra that I needed from TFT)

FC 6
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 70
CH 160
CYA 60 (maybe 70 - I hate this test. :)
Salt 2800
Borate 30
Temps have been running 86 - 90 - closer to 90 consistently.

I also did a OCLT last night and the pool lost exactly 1ppm.

Water is clear but the past couple days I've brushed off some green spots that have me nervous. And like a dummy I didn't take a picture. Also - we have these lights in the pool:

Product Detail Overview PAL

And when I'm checking them out underwater I see green film in the little circular spaces. I don't currently have a brush that will fit those tiny little spaces - on the hunt and welcome suggestions. Toothbrush is too large...

So I'm nervous and wondering if I should perform a SLAM just in case.

Thank you for listening! And please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place...

Sara

Sara, if you saw green that quickly clouds or "poofs-up" when you move it, it's probably algae. If you saw the same material around the pool as if it was pollen, then you could consider that as an option. Otherwise ....SLAM. Don't wait. It won't hurt anything. You can still use the pool. With a CYA of 60, your SLAM FC level is 24. If you determine CYA to be 70, increase FC to 28. Don't forget to lower pH FIRST to 7.2 before increasing the FC though.

As for the lights, I have about the same type. Not much you can do other than remove the protective lens and wipe it off. You can't really do much with the fixture protruding from within the FB wall. The bleach will take care of anything in the water. Make sure to hold the FC until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria.

Thank you so much for your reply Pat!

The algae vs pollen has me wondering too. Would pollen "poof"? This material - whatever it was - definitely "poofs" when I mess with it - whether it's my foot "stomping" near it or the brush. I haven't seen the offending green since Thursday.

SLAM it is! I don't want to take any chances!!

Sara

Ok, so for my sanity and to make sure I don't mess this up - here's my "SLAM diary":

Knew I wouldn't have the time to properly tend to this the past couple days so just started my SLAM today.

Tested this am and added bleach to bring levels to:

9AM:
FC 26.5 (was shooting for 24)
CC 0
Brushed and brushed and brushed! Pump is on high and I also turned on the deck jets for about an hour to let all that good FC circulate thru them. I have turned my SWG off.

10:45AM tested:
FC 22.5
CC 0
Added 43oz bleach to bring back to 24ppm

3:30PM
FC 18.5
CC 0
water temp 94
Added 156 oz bleach to bring back to 24ppm. Brushed again.

Note: today has been a FULL SUN day and our pool gets hit with it all day.

My thoughts: last night while swimming I brushed around all the little light places as well as all around our steps. No ladder in the pool - just the built in steps. Saw little "poofy" areas as I was scrubbing those couple places - no other visible green yucks as far as I could tell. Ran the Dolphin overnight as well.

Will check the levels again after the hubby gets home (5-7pm-ish) as we always jump in as a family to cool off - want to be sure its not above SLAM level so that it's safe for swimming. Water looks great.

Plan:
I *hope* this is a SLAM out of an abundance of caution. I plan to keep checking the FC level and adding bleach to keep it at 24ppm. As long as I don't see any more signs of algae and my CC stays at 0.5 or below and I pass the OCLT tonight - is it possible this will have been a 1-day SLAM?

I am so thankful for this forum. Off to donate in a bit!

Sara

Glad you catch the green very early, and didn't procrastinate, yes it could really be a day only, as long as you pass all OCLT criteria you will be done, congratulations ?

Starting day 5/25/2015 INTEX AGP 24'x12'x54" 8,400 gal, with salt and borax, INTEX 3,000 GPH pump with 16"sand filter, WM Hayward Skimmer, Intex SWG CG-28669, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Update:

6:30PM tested:
FC 21.5
CC 0
water temp 93
Added 71 oz bleach to bring FC back to 24ppm. Brushed, brushed, brushed. Who needs a gym membership!!?? :)

8:30PM tested:
FC 24
CC 0.5
No additions made. Begin OCLT

No poofs of cloudy dirt or yucky looking spots...come on OCLT - don't let me down!

Last edited:
Update:

7-27-16
6:30AM tested:
FC 21.5 = loss of 2.5 overnight :(
CC 0
Added 185 oz bleach to bring FC to 28ppm. Thinking my CYA really is 70, not 60, so using 28 as my new target.

7:50AM tested:
FC 28
CC 0
brushed again, extra attention to skimmers. Water definitely looks more "sparkly" today. It's funny how you get accustomed to looking at the water every day and "forget" how it's "supposed" to look. My water hasn't been looking bad, but compared to now it was definitely a little dull.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Shoot no! :(

Here's my updated log:

7-27-16
9:35AM tested
FC 29
CC 0.5

1:08PM tested
FC 22.5
CC 0
Added 156 oz bleach

2:54PM tested
FC 25.5
CC 0
Didn't add this time because we're getting ready to swim...brushed all over while we were in pool...even let the girls "play" with the brushes... :)

5PM tested
FC 25.5
CC 0
Added 71oz bleach to bring back to 28ppm

9:20PM tested
begin OCLT
FC 25
CC 0.5

7-28-16

6:20AM tested
FC 23.5 = loss of 1.5 overnight
CC 0
Added 128 oz bleach to bring back up to 28ppm

12:50PM tested
FC 25
CC 0
Added 85 oz bleach to bring back to 28ppm and brushed, brushed, brushed.

REALLY hoping today is it. My pool is so sparkly!

Just took this photo:

Ok - so surely this is going to be the night I pass the OCLT! :kim:

3:35PM tested
FC 21.5
CC 0
Added 185 oz bleach to bring back to 28ppm

5:41PM tested
FC 29
CC 0
No addition. How'd I get to 29?? Was shooting for 28...:confused:

11:45PM tested - begin OCLT
FC 27.5
CC 0
Didn't add anything...:sleep:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.