simple salt above ground pool algae and cloudy problems

Jul 24, 2016
Goose creek sc
Hello. I am new to this site and this is my first post (hope I did right). Are there any tricks to controlling algae and cloudiness, but especially algae in a simple salt system pool? We brush and vacuum and clean filters every other day, we now include clarifier in our weekly routine along with turbo shock, (recommended after last water reading at pool store). We have a simple salt system which means we weekly include shock (shimmer) and a clarifier (vivid). This is in addition to the other clarifier and turbo shock we administer. We've also used an algae preventer in the pool. Our PH and alkalinity readings are always normal. The copper reading is now set at 2. The "mineral" still reads OK, but on the high-end. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. The pool floor and walls has a slimy feel and we find several of those algae eating swimming bugs in the pool. Is this common for salt systems? We are thinking of going back to the chlorine system. Oh we have a cartridge filter (I.e. no back washing) thank you.

Welcome to TFP. First, how are you testing your water? My first instinct is to say all the shock is making your cya go through the roof. When cya goes up, you have to increase the amount of chlorine in your pool or it can't sanitize.

I agree with Defgufman. Many of us here use SWGs successfully. But if you want to augment the chlorine it produces, you should only use straight bleach, aka liquid chlorine. Shock products contain stabilizer, also called CYA, which builds up in your water and requires draining to remove. Too much CYA renders your chlorine ineffective. Please start by reading the Pool School link at the top of the page and order one of the test kits, either the TF-100 or K-2006, recommended by the folks here.

Deja Vu from reading your post, you sound just like I did a few years back.
I also agree with the other two posters as well.
Get a good test kit.
I have two gallons of Algaecide and about a quart of clarifier, just never use it anymore.
The only chemicals in my pool shed now are Muriatic acid, bleach, CYA and vinegar.
Do some reading concerning CYA to FC relationship, once you get that right it becomes easy to keep a pool shining

Deja Vu from reading your post, you sound just like I did a few years back.
I also agree with the other two posters as well.
Get a good test kit.
I have two gallons of Algaecide and about a quart of clarifier, just never use it anymore.
The only chemicals in my pool shed now are Muriatic acid, bleach, CYA and vinegar.
Do some reading concerning CYA to FC relationship, once you get that right it becomes easy to keep a pool shining
Why are you putting vinegar in your pool?

Dom

Edit: Just realized you have a SWG.... I suspect you are cleaning the cell plates with the vinegar?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.