Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner with sand filter question

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner with sand filter question

So We just got our first pool 2 months ago,as of a few weeks ago it's been pretty good. That's when the water started looking cloudy not real bad just kinda milky. I thought it was my chems but they were pretty good from what I read anyway. I tried clairifer but no luck still cloudy. I was thinking the filter just couldn't filter out that small. So I added some de, when I did I noticed some came out the return. Is that normal? I read if it does the laterals could be broken. There is sand in the pool sometimes not a lot though.
    Now the day after we had it installed the boro decided to rip the blacktop road up and replace it with stone, and everybody thinks it's a racetrack and flies up and down the road, so ther is a lot of dust in the air. THe pool is probably 75 to 100ft from the road. Here are my chems I am sure someone will ask lol. Free Chlorine: 5.5
    Combine Chlorine: 0

Ph: 7.4

Total alkalinity: 90-100 (I have the tylor k006 kit. It kinda changed with 9 drops but really did with 10)

Calcium hardness: 100ppm

Canuric acid: 40
    So really In all that my question is it normal for the pump to pump th de out on a pretty much brand new system? I was gonna tare the filter apart tomorrow before I do I want to make sure there is even a prob.
    Tganks for any input

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner with sand filter question

Welcome to TFP!!!

No, it is not normal for the DE to pass through the sand filter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It sounds like you might have a channel in the sand that is allowing the de to pass through. Try doing a longer back wash and rinsing than normal, if that does not "reset" the sand, you can do a deep clean to fix the problem.

For sand in the pool, you would have seen it so after starting up the filter for the first time if it was a damaged lateral. It is unlikely that sand is being thrown 75 to 100' from the road. Dust yes but, not sand, it is too heavy to fly that far from driving. A lateral normally breaks when sand is removed or added to the filter improperly (like an Atilla the Hun installer). It might allow a bit of sand to pass through after each backwash The only way to check is to empty and refill the sand. If the filter, etc. is still under warranty, I would call the installer first and let them check things out.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.

Stop using DE and SLAM the pool. Your filter has not given any valid indication it can't get your water crystal clear but I'll bet chlorine by itself will fix your pool.

What does the water look like this AM?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies
    I mentioned the road dust in the air because if the cloudiness, I know sand wouldn't be coming from that lol
    I just got home from work we been running the pump nonstop for three days, after last I added the de it is almost crystal clear

6. Back To Top    #6

I was gonna post a pic but I can't seem to figure it out

7. Back To Top    #7

Kneppy can you set up your signature so everyone knows what the volume of your pool is, what test kit you're using etc? If you want to upload pictures go to photobucket's website and you can upload to the forum from there. If you become a supporter of TFP you will get additional perks including increased attachment space.
    17K Gallon,IG Vinyl,1hp Pentair Challenger,Pentair TA60 Sand Filter, Hayward Colorlogic,Re-lined 06-20-15, TF-100,SpeedStir,Lagunitas and Margaritas. Zappafan Pool Build

8. Back To Top    #8

I think I got the pic to work. Sorry Sig updated
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Installed may 2016
    24x52" above ground pool 14,500 gal
    hayward dream line 45gpm pump and sand filter
    tylor k-2006 test kit