losing prime when using skimmer vacuum plate

iam4iam

LifeTime Supporter
May 5, 2012
Johnson City, TN
I am experiencing virtually the exact same problem as described in the initial post of the following thread:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/1219-Dumb-question-aacuum-plate.

My water level has to be a couple of inches above the midline of the skimmer plate just to prevent the pump from sucking air with the vacuum plate on. I'm thinking of maybe using a PVC elbow and feeding the vacuum hose through the skimmer opening. Has anyone else encountered (and solved) this problem? The problem was never solved in the thread mentioned above. :(

Turn off pump. Put the skimmer plate in place. Put vacuum in the pool. Push hose down hand over hand into the water to it fills with water. Or hold it over a return. With the attachment end kept under water, pass it through the skimmer opening, over the weir. Stick it in the skimmer plate. If, for any reason, you have to pull the hose up over the pool edge and then down to the skimmer plate, put your hand over the end of the hose. Turn pump back on.

There will be a small amount of air from the end of the hose or from under the skimmer plate. The pump will clear the air. Turn pump off to remove and put the skimmer plate away when not vacuuming.

If the pump still gets air, the vacuum hose may have leaks.

If cavitation is caused, or if suction is too much, shop for a skimmer plate with an adjustable bypass.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.