Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! CYA is 25 ten days into SLAM.

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! CYA is 25 ten days into SLAM.

I've been pouring between a half gallon and a gallon an hour all week with high temps and full sunshine. When I started this almost two weeks ago, cya was at 40. I just checked it today though and realized the stabilizer is low.
    i put a couple socks out in the skimmer and return, so when should I check FC again, and add chlorine? What else should I test for?
    AG Doughboy 16x28', Opened June 2016
    Aquaview 20" filter w 7 position valve
    1-1/2 hp Powerline Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help! CYA is 25 ten days into SLAM.

It would probably be best if we could see all of your test results as of today to get the full picture. But previously at a CYA of 40, your SLAM FC level would've been 16. Your sig implies you have a multiport valve and the ability to backwash, so it's very possible that you've depleted some CYA during those backwashes. The minimum CYA for a SLAM is 30 to provide some top-cover from the sun. If that CYA dropped low as you suspect, your FC hasn't been protected enough therefore the SLAM may not have been as productive.

So now that you've added more stabilizer, once it dissolves it should increase your CYA in 24-48 hours. If your new CYA target was 40 again, plan on maintaining an FC of 16. If you find that your CYA went a little higher, closer to 50, then your SLAM FC level would be 20. In addition, if it's been a long time since you've checked pH, I would do that before raising the FC again. Make sure to test pH when the FC is below 10, then increase FC back-up to the appropriate SLAM level based on your new CYA. As with all SLAMs, make sure to review the SLAM page to ensure you're not missing something you should be doing each day (i.e. scrubbing, inspecting ladders, behind lights, etc.).
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm testing everything right now, but isn't the ph going to be wacky right now? I'll post results in a minute.
    1-1/2 hp Powerline Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

The PH test is not valid when FC IS above 10 ppm.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Here are the readings tonight
    FC 7
    PH way above 8.2
    TA. 180
    CYA 50
    CC 0
    I added 24oz of stabilizer in socks just tonight so that number probably isn't accurate yet, right?
    1-1/2 hp Powerline Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

It is Important to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8. Are you trying to SLAM? PH should be 7.2 to start a SLAM, SLAM. Why are you are adding more CYA when it is 50? CYA should be between 30-40 for a SLAM. More here, SLAM
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Take the socks out asap until you can recheck your CYA in full sunlight.

8. Back To Top    #8

I did get my Ph to 7.2 before I started the slam, and CYA was 40. So my target has been 16 since I started on July 11. I didn't know to check anything besides the fc until today. I checked CYA and it was 25. I've been out in 100 degree heat all week pouring gallons and gallons of bleach into my pool. So this afternoon I couldn't reach anyone here, I am wiped out. So the best I could figure out was to get the CYA up so the chlorine wouldn't be zapped up again tomorrow. I put in the best I could figure to measure, 24 oz of stabilizer in two socks and it has dissolved this evening. So after this, I retested at 10:30 pm and these are the current readings. Can this be a reliable CYA reading at this time?
    What should I do now?
    1-1/2 hp Powerline Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you, Texas Splash, I'll continue on tomorrow. Should I deal with the PH first?

The first week I did several backwashes and we got a couple of heavy rains so that must have lowered the CYA. This week the pressure has stayed the same so I haven't backwashed for several days.

- - - Updated - - -

MarianParoo, The stabilizer is all dssolved, so I'll retest the CYA in the daylight tomorrow, thank you.
    1-1/2 hp Powerline Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

The CYA will show up on the test 24 hours after it is dissolved from the sock. Yes, lower PH to 7.2 while you can test it since FC is below 10 ppm.
    TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Got it, I will start with that in the morning!
    1-1/2 hp Powerline Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

When I get my PH down, what is the next step?
    1-1/2 hp Powerline Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Bring your FC back up to shock level based on your CYA level. Since you added CYA, base that off of the CYA level you were shooting for with the addition. You can test the CYA again tomorrow with full sunlight, either in the morning or evening is easier as the sun is not directly overhead.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, how many gallons are you basing your calculations on? With a pool that size I get around 11,600 gallons assuming it's an oval with 48" water depth.
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

14. Back To Top    #14

11,800 is what I use. I've been working on PH today, but Ill get the chlorine back up in half an hour after every the macuric acid has a chance to mix. Thanks.
    1-1/2 hp Powerline Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Ok, last night My FC was 16, this morning it is 15. The cc is 0, and the water is crystal clear, has been for several days. This was my first OCLT since I got the CyA and PH back in place. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    1-1/2 hp Powerline Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Looks like you passed the SLAM criteria. So now that your CYA is a little higher than it was a week or two ago, hopefully your FC will hold better. Just let the FC begin to sink back down to its normal daily target value. I would recommend keeping the FC in the 5-7 range and never let it go below 4 in this heat. See how things go for the next few days from there.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

17. Back To Top    #17

Will do, thank you for the clear guidance as this is my first, hopefully only SLAM. It's helpful to have insight with the hot weather also. I've certainly learned a lot and keeping notes for sure!
    1-1/2 hp Powerline Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit