Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Nature 2 Fusion - Worth Using and Buying New Mineral Cartridge???

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Nature 2 Fusion - Worth Using and Buying New Mineral Cartridge???

When I built my pool 2 years ago, I got upsold so I have a Nature 2 Fusion, which is a combo in-line chlorinator and also a mineral cartridge.

First of all, I'm not using the in-line chlorinator at all because I've adopted the Trouble Free method...bleach only for me.

The mineral part is what I'm wondering about. When I purchased, I was told the mineral cartridge works using the same concept as a wishing well, or a fountain with coins thrown in. The minerals from the coins help to sanitize the water. I was told this would help with my pool as well, and would also help the water have a better "feel" to it. The replacement cartridges are expensive, and it's almost time for me to order a new one IF I KEEP USING IT. Looking for feedback here to see if anyone wants to chime in.

Thoughts?
    20,000 gallons, In Ground, Pebble Sheen, DE Filter, Jandy 2 Speed, Attached Ground Level Spa, Polaris cleaner with dedicated pump, Ozone Generator, TF 100 w/ SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Nature 2 Fusion - Worth Using and Buying New Mineral Cartridge???

Mineral cartridges add metal to the water which build up and stain hair, fingernails, water, plaster, vinyl and dog.s lots of people here spend a lot of time and money trying to remove metal and stains from their water. You don't want to pay money to put them in. And it doesn't sanitize the water. All it does is help to kill algae, some.

More here, Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
    And here, Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

This topic comes up a couple of times per week, if you use the forum search you will see that these mineral systems are universally frowned upon here. Not only do we suggest people to not invest in them, we advise people with them to remove or disable them.

p.s. that sales tactic is a half truth, and one of the things I personally dislike most about mineral systems. It is true that Copper is an effective algaecide, which means you will tend to have clear water, the problem is Copper is not very effective against viruses and bacteria so you can have clear, but not sanitized water. Where as with a Chlorine pool we use lack of visible algae as a proxy for a sanitized pool since Chlorine effectively kills Algae, as well as bacteria and viruses which are not visible to the naked eye at about the same rate.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the input. Looks like I'm going to have a really expensive portion of PVC at my equipment!

If I have to leave town for several days I guess I'll occasionally utilize the in-line chlorinator part, but I'm done with mineral cartridges.
    20,000 gallons, In Ground, Pebble Sheen, DE Filter, Jandy 2 Speed, Attached Ground Level Spa, Polaris cleaner with dedicated pump, Ozone Generator, TF 100 w/ SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep, OK to use some pucks while on vaca as long as you keep an eye on your CYA level.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach