What should I trust???

Ilya

Jun 5, 2016
Manalapan, NJ
Hi everyone,

I'm at a loss...

Installed a new Hayward aqr15 and tested the newly filled water with Taylor K-1766.

As soon as I added 1 drop the yellow mixture turned to brick color suggesting there's no salt - all good here. Aqr15's immediate reading was at 0 as well.

I have a 32000 gallon pool so TFP calculator recommends 857lb of salt. Hayward is online here. Morton Pool salt instructions said the same.

Being overly careful not to add too much, I put in 15 bags worth of 600lb of salt. My expectation was to get to around 2200 ppm and then add more.

After shuffling salt around to dissolve and filtering for half a day I went to look at aqr15 - it showed immediate reading of 2500 ppm. I read before that it could be off and expected that.

Then I decided to make a decisive test with Taylor kit and after redoing it 3 times it showed me the salt level of 3000 ppm. Basically every time it took 15 drops for the color to change. I'm finding it very hard to believe that 600lb and every source I've seen could be wrong.

Have you experienced Taylor kit being so mistaken or am I doing something wrong?

I basically fill 10ml of pool water into sample tube, put 1 drop of r-0630 and then was putting r-0718 drop wise (got to 15) and multiplied by 200.

Please help what I should rely on...

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention. My other readings are:

FC - still at 0. Fresh water just finished filling at 6AM
pH - stabilized at 7.5 (was at 7.1, got raised to 7.5 during increase of TA)
TA - started of at 55ppm. Now at 100ppm after baking soda
CH - went up from 0 to 100 by adding 25lb of calcium. Not relevant since I have a vinyl pool though
CYA - was at 0. Added 6lb of CYA so expecting to raise to 20-25. Once confirmed, I'll add another 2lb to get to 30 and want to stay there.

You better get some chlorine in there before you develop algae. Use liquid chlorine to get to 5-7ppm.

Get the pool going as a manually chlorinated pool.

Once your water is balanced you can get the SWG online.

BTW- as long as the SWG is happy with the salt level you are good to go.

Dom

You better get some chlorine in there before you develop algae. Use liquid chlorine to get to 5-7ppm.

Get the pool going as a manually chlorinated pool.

Once your water is balanced you can get the SWG online.

BTW- as long as the SWG is happy with the salt level you are good to go.

Dom

Thanks Dom!

Is that OK to put 121oz of 8.3% Clorox bleach? TFP calculator says it will raise FC by 2.5 which should be good... SWG is on and producing chlorine as we speak. it like the numbers as I added 1 more bag of salt and SWG reading 2900 now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.