Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What should I trust???

1. Back To Top    #1

What should I trust???

Hi everyone,

I'm at a loss...

Installed a new Hayward aqr15 and tested the newly filled water with Taylor K-1766.

As soon as I added 1 drop the yellow mixture turned to brick color suggesting there's no salt - all good here. Aqr15's immediate reading was at 0 as well.

I have a 32000 gallon pool so TFP calculator recommends 857lb of salt. Hayward is online here. Morton Pool salt instructions said the same.

Being overly careful not to add too much, I put in 15 bags worth of 600lb of salt. My expectation was to get to around 2200 ppm and then add more.

After shuffling salt around to dissolve and filtering for half a day I went to look at aqr15 - it showed immediate reading of 2500 ppm. I read before that it could be off and expected that.

Then I decided to make a decisive test with Taylor kit and after redoing it 3 times it showed me the salt level of 3000 ppm. Basically every time it took 15 drops for the color to change. I'm finding it very hard to believe that 600lb and every source I've seen could be wrong.

Have you experienced Taylor kit being so mistaken or am I doing something wrong?

I basically fill 10ml of pool water into sample tube, put 1 drop of r-0630 and then was putting r-0718 drop wise (got to 15) and multiplied by 200.

Please help what I should rely on...

Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What should I trust???

Forgot to mention. My other readings are:

FC - still at 0. Fresh water just finished filling at 6AM
    pH - stabilized at 7.5 (was at 7.1, got raised to 7.5 during increase of TA)
    TA - started of at 55ppm. Now at 100ppm after baking soda
    CH - went up from 0 to 100 by adding 25lb of calcium. Not relevant since I have a vinyl pool though
    CYA - was at 0. Added 6lb of CYA so expecting to raise to 20-25. Once confirmed, I'll add another 2lb to get to 30 and want to stay there.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

You better get some chlorine in there before you develop algae. Use liquid chlorine to get to 5-7ppm.

Get the pool going as a manually chlorinated pool.

Once your water is balanced you can get the SWG online.

BTW- as long as the SWG is happy with the salt level you are good to go.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    You better get some chlorine in there before you develop algae. Use liquid chlorine to get to 5-7ppm.

Get the pool going as a manually chlorinated pool.

Once your water is balanced you can get the SWG online.

BTW- as long as the SWG is happy with the salt level you are good to go.

Dom
    Thanks Dom!

Is that OK to put 121oz of 8.3% Clorox bleach? TFP calculator says it will raise FC by 2.5 which should be good... SWG is on and producing chlorine as we speak. it like the numbers as I added 1 more bag of salt and SWG reading 2900 now.

5. Back To Top    #5

My Taylor salt test has always measured around 600ppm higher than my Hayward SWG.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    My Taylor salt test has always measured around 600ppm higher than my Hayward SWG.
    Sounds like my case. Mine is 500 higher. What do you go by? I assume swg as it would freak out otherwise lol

7. Back To Top    #7

Yup, just keep the SWG happy and use the test to see trends.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you all for quick and educated responses. Very much appreciated!!!

9. Back To Top    #9

You want to keep CYA at only 30?
    You might want to rethink that with your SWG.

21' x 52" Legacy Portable Pool - 10,400 Gallons - Sand Filter w/SWG - TF100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

We recommend 70 to 80 for SWG.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    We recommend 70 to 80 for SWG.
    Hi pooldv,

Can you please elaborate on this? When we got the house with this pool the cya was at 130 and it seemed pretty tough to justify keeping the FC at 11-13ppm. Not sure about swg as I'm new to this.

Thanks

12. Back To Top    #12

FC doesn't need to be that high with CYA at 70-80 when chlorinating with an SWG, FC/CYA Chart.

Here is the water balance page for SWG
    Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach