Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA adjustment before salt addition

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA adjustment before salt addition

Preparing to add NaCl this weekend. Have the TFP Kit, CYA is over 100, If I dilute current pool water by 50% then it goes to approx 60. Currently dumping water. The pool was previously chlorinated with tablets. Question, how did CYA build-up so high in the pool? Did years of tablet use and stabilizer addition create this scenario, or does it happen by some other mechanism? Tempted to drop the pool volume to around 40% prior to refill to allow for a target CYA of about 50? Thoughts?

Thank you...
    18x36 in-ground, ~29k gallons, Pentair 3HP VS, Pentair CC+ 420, IC-40, EasyTouch Panel, In-ground cover, 100% DIY-reworked pad (thanks to help from this forum), TFP Test Kit, Near-antique heat pump...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA adjustment before salt addition

how did CYA build-up so high in the pool? Did years of tablet use and stabilizer addition create this scenario,
    Exactly! Misuse of tablets and bags of shock.

Tempted to drop the pool volume to around 40% prior to refill to allow for a target CYA of about 50? Thoughts?
    Actually, shoot for a CYA target of 70. That's the minimum you want for a SWG pool so that you have adequate FC protection from the sun.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, thanks, thought so, but also did not know if it was a by-product of anything used in the TFP method. I'm aiming a bit low because I'm in the PNW where there is not a tremendous amount of sun, and because it is easier to raise, than lower. Is CYA a skin/eye irritant?

One other Q, should I add salt, then adjust PH after the re-fill or adjust PH then add salt?
    18x36 in-ground, ~29k gallons, Pentair 3HP VS, Pentair CC+ 420, IC-40, EasyTouch Panel, In-ground cover, 100% DIY-reworked pad (thanks to help from this forum), TFP Test Kit, Near-antique heat pump...

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

High CYA is the result of using stabilized chlorine (trichlor/dichlor).

TFP recommends using liquid chlorine, which adds only chlorine and a trace amount of salt.

CYA, in the levels recommended here, is not an irritant.

Get your water well balanced first, then add your salt.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!