Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa water gone wild

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa water gone wild

Okay, because it's summer I've been a little lax about testing my spa water daily, but I didn't expect this!

7/3/16
    Temp 103
    Bromine 6.625
    pH 8.2
    CH 400
    TA 50

7/23/16 (today)
    Temp 100 (that's ok, I turned it down last week)
    Bromine 18
    pH 6.8
    CH 0 (the test water didn't change color at all when I added drops)
    TA 0 (the test water turned bright red when I added drops)

I did have a small floater with bromine tabs in the whole time, and the spa has been covered. The floater had two out of its three slots lpen to release bromine.

I think I'll do a complete water replacement today anyway, but I'd love to know if anyone has an idea what could have gone so wrong with the water in three weeks!
    22K 16'x40' inground fiberglass pool, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter, Hayward dual speed 2 hp Super II Pump, Hayward AquaRite SWG, Raypak 400K btu propane heater, Dolphin Supreme M400 cleaning robot, CoverPool auto cover. Also stand-alone Sundance Hawthorne 430 gallon hot tub.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa water gone wild

I am not very familiar with bromine use. But, I don't think it is possible for CH to go from 400 to 0. Trichlor pucks or dry chlorine products can cause your TA and PH to crash.

I assume you are following this process
    How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?

Use the info from this to manage your TA and PH, it has much better details. I have kept my tub this way for years and it is great.
    How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Spa water gone wild

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I am not very familiar with bromine use. But, I don't think it is possible for CH to go from 400 to 0. Trichlor pucks or dry chlorine products can cause your TA and PH to crash.
    I didn't think that was possible either, but I did both the CH and TA tests twice to make sure, and that's what I got. I've often seen my CH level go down in both my hot tub and my pool, and I understand that's unusual. I add calcium chloride to both on a fairly regular basis to stay ahead of it as best I can. I even posted on another forum on this site last year about the pool, and people told me it shouldn't be happening. I just can't figure out how it went all the way to zero in the hot tub in three weeks.

One other detail I forgot to mention: the bather load has been very light. My wife and I only use it once or twice a week, and I always put in oxidizer when we're done.
    22K 16'x40' inground fiberglass pool, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter, Hayward dual speed 2 hp Super II Pump, Hayward AquaRite SWG, Raypak 400K btu propane heater, Dolphin Supreme M400 cleaning robot, CoverPool auto cover. Also stand-alone Sundance Hawthorne 430 gallon hot tub.